[News] Lots of Choice in GNU/Linux-based HTPC

Which HTPC Linux Distro is Best?

,----[ Quote ]
| For lots of people Linux is their operating system of choice for their HTPC.
| Why? Because it’s free. Most people don’t want to pay for windows again just
| for their HTPC (it’s expensive).
|
| [...]
|
| Otherwise the three distros provide very similar functions. They all use the
| same version of MythTV, and support the same plugins. Some people have a
| preference for one distro or the other because they think it is easier, but
| this is just because they have used them more. To be honest you will get used
| to and learn whichever distro you choose, and find them all just as easy.
|
| I chose to install MythDora on my HTPC. I really like MythBuntu, and might
| consider it in the future when it has been worked on more, but right now I
| feel MythDora has the most refined release. Whichever option you choose, all
| three make setting up your MythTV operating system on your HTPC quick and
| easy.
`----

http://hometheatrepcguide.com/which-htpc-linux-distro-is-best/

Recent:

Upgrading to Mythdora 5.0

,----[ Quote ]
| There are other great features, some of which I have yet to figure out how to
| take advantage of. To see them, see the release notes. I wish I had taken
| some before and after screenshots of Mythweb, the plugin that lets you manage
| most of MythTV’s features over the web. It has REALLY been improved. Here’s a
| really good example of how it looks now. Before for the videos your recorded,
| it would just show a small thumbnail, now, if you click on the recorded show,
| you get a plethora of information (and it looks neat too!)
|
| Overall I was VERY happy with the great job the Mythdora team did on this
| release. The upgrade went very smoothly and the new features are working very
| well.
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2008/05/05/upgrading-to-mythdora-50/

Set Up A Linux Playstation 3 Media Server (Ubuntu Hardy Heron)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Sony Play station 3 is a DLNA compatible device, DLNA is a framework
| where home electronics can share digital media and content seamlessly. This
| tutorial will provide instructions on setting up your Ubuntu hardy computer
| to share your video, music and photos, allowing you to play them through your
| DLNA compatible devices. Although several other open source media servers
| exist, i chose to use Fuppes due to its built in support for transcoding.
`----

http://www.howtoforge.com/set-up-a-linux-playstation-3-media-server-with-ubuntu8.04

MythDora 5.0

,----[ Quote ]
| MythDora 5.0 is finally here. It's based on Fedora 8 along with MythTV-0.21.
`----

http://www.g-ding.tv/?q=node/3233

Related:

Pre-build MythTV Linux PVR eats Windows MCE for breakfast

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically this is an unpack-and-plug-in solution to your media
| streaming/live TV pausing/scheduled recording needs.  Yes, you
| could build your own Linux box and install MythTV, but this saves
| you all the effort, is cheaper than a Windows Media Centre and
| gives you access to a vast range of fan-programmed add-ons.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/pre-build-mythtv-linux-pvr-eats-windows-mce-for-breakfast-152985.php

Linux as a Media Centre

,----[ Quote ]