Re: Democrats Betray Standards, Fingers Point at Joe MAFIAA Biden

  • Subject: Re: Democrats Betray Standards, Fingers Point at Joe MAFIAA Biden
  • From: Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:11:28 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Aug 26, 5:21 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Democrats can't run Linux
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | THE U.S. Democratic Party has been touting its IT credentials as proof that
> | it is a better bet than luddite John McCain who has never turned on a
> | computer.

McCain has also used the magic code phrase that pretty much means "I
won't touch Microsoft", expressing his intent to continue to hamstring
all efforts to limit the Microsoft Monopoly on the OEM distribution
channel and the retailer shelf space.

> | However, cracks in the Democrats' veneer have been showing lately, notably
> | with the appointment of the technology and privacy anti-Christ Joe Biden as
> | vice presidential candidate. It seems the Democrat's open sauce credentials
> | are being questioned.

At least Obama did use Linux during the primaries (Red Hat Linux), and
they also use Open Office for the campaign.

McCain would lift the restrictions on Microsoft so that they can force-
feed Vista and Office 2007 into government agencies, large
corporations, and squeeze the smaller businesses for as much cash as
possible.

> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/26/democrats-ban-...

> http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/president/19875329.html?...

> Obama Campaign Hopes for Better Web Security

It could also be that they like the web security they have, and don't
want some idiot
opening up back doors.

> | The requirements are pretty much what you'd read in any e-commerce security
> | help-wanted ad: VPN (virtual private network) and Unix or Linux experience,
> | along with a "deep understanding" of LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and Perl)
> | development. And of course, the successful candidate must be willing
> | to "respond off-hours to high urgency security situations."

Which lets you know that Obama does support Linux pretty aggressively.
Sounds like the typical requirements for any Linux administrator.
Fortunately, it's
often possible to fix Linux problems remotely, using command line
interfaces.

> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146997/obama_campaign_h...

> Obama Voices Support for ODF

> | OpenDocument Format supporters are welcoming presidential hopeful Sen. Barack
> | Obama's promise to put government data online in universally accessible
> | formats should he be elected.ODF a National Standard in Korea

This is the stronger message.  This is what we should be paying
attention to.

McCain seems committed to Microsoft - for another hundred years?