[News] Interviews: Free Software Claimed to Be Thriving

Interview: Ken Drachnik on Sun's GlassFish OSS App Server

,----[ Quote ]
| Ken Drachnik: The open source movement is thriving. With companies like
| MySQL, Canonical, and foundations like Apache, the developer community has
| been given access to much of the code that runs today's infrastructure. Going
| forward though, it is up to those open source companies to execute a business
| model that allows them to continue to fund their support of the open source
| projects. Unless these commercial companies can thrive, their support of the
| open source communities will wither.
`----

http://ostatic.com/171720-blog/interview-ken-drachnik-on-suns-glassfish-oss-app-server

On the Strategic Purpose of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| GG: What do you think the biggest new trends in open source telephony will be
| in the next 12 months?
|
| CA: What we would like to see is for the community to view themselves as more
| of a communications rather than telephony community. The nuance here is that
| there are many modes of communication but telephony is mainly a voice
| phenomenon. Video, presence, IM, directory services, application integration…
| All of this is at times described asUnified Communications. The open source
| community enables much if not all of these. Driving further integration of
| these will be a good trend to see.
`----

http://hdvoice.tmcnet.com/topics/sip-endpoints/articles/37984-the-strategic-purpose-open-source.htm

Recent:

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/04/01/vc-funding-for-open-source-hits-an-all-time-high/

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9907679-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog