Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

____/ Rex Ballard on Monday 25 August 2008 14:19 : \____

> On Aug 25, 5:27 am, thufir <hawat.thu...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:20:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> > Acer Cuts Price of Aspire one Subnotebook
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>> >http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14312
>>
>> > This can't be good for Microsoft's margins. They why they pursue new
>> > business models like subscription and patent assaults that are
>> > slanderous at best.
>>
>> It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit?  That seems
>> suspiciously low.

Not quite. The leaked memos (IDG) showed that they give away Windows for as
little as $18, IIRC. This means that they so buh-bye to big margins, _just in
order to counter the GNU/Linux_. It's not sustainable and Microsoft's
financial results already disappoint (stock sank for two consecutive quarters
and Microsoft is still buying back its stock very aggressively).

> You probably want to compare the applications on both systems as
> well.
>
> I know that with ASUS, the "Office" you get with the XP version is the
> "Works" version of Word, and that's it.  No excel, no powerpoint, and
> no database.
>
> With the Linux version, you get a Word 6.0 compatible word processor,
> an Excel compatible spreadsheet, a Powerpoint compatible presentation
> editor, and Access compatible database, and even a nice drawing tool
> (though not visio compatible).
>
> The linux version also has FireFox, Skype, and multi-service instant
> messaging.  You can get more free software after you've purhased the
> machine.

How long before Microsoft bundles Office and other software and makes it part
of Windows in order to compete? It already ties (bundles) trial versions of
Office using OEMs and it also gives Windows (_plus_ Office) just just $3 in
some countries. As I said before, they kill the margins. Wait and see them
suffer as they struggle to find new revenue models (they already try SaaS and
subscription, without much success).

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Microsoft loves competition.
"We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger….If you’re going to kill
someone, there isn’t much reason to get all worked up about it and angry. You
just pull the trigger. Any discussions beforehand are a waste of time. We need
to smile at Novell while we pull the trigger."
                --Jim Allchin, Platform Group Vice President