Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

On 2008-08-25, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:27:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:
>>>
>>> Nobody notices.
>>>
>>> I recommend OO to them if they don't have Word, but I suspect most
>>> people keep a "copy" of MS Office around.
>>
>> I thought so too until my daughter's paper didn't format correctly in Word
>> after writing and saving it in Word format under OO.
>>
>> That was it for me and this was a very simple paper.
>
> I'm not sure I believe you, frankly.

    I concur.

    I have been using OO in corporate environments for years without
anyone noticing. The biggest compliment that you can give to an
alternative office suite is that it is invisible.

> I've done too much cross-office documentation, and the only major issues
> I've found are with font differences (i.e. somebody uses a weird font
> that no one else has) and numbering -- and even Word itself handles
> numbering in a totally stupid way.
>
> Even so, just have your daughter use WordPad!

    Thanks to OLE (or whatever they call it these days), you can do
some very interesting things just with wordpad. This potentially
really isn't fully realized due to the "one true interface" mentality
that's so prevalent in Windows.

--
	Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have       |||
better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't      / | \