Re: [News] Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

____/ bbgruff on Monday 25 August 2008 13:03 : \____

> Linonut wrote:
>
>> * thufir peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit?  That
>>> seems suspiciously low.
>>
>> Sounds like they're using Linux to enhance their profit margin.
>
> On first sight, yes.
>
> However, IIRC the price of XP Home (to the manufacturer) on these machines is
> in the order of $30.  Then bear in mind the premium that pre-installation
> of "crapware" (pre-loaded 30-day trials, etc.) commands, and I can appreciate
> that pre-loaded Linux isn't going to be much cheaper, if at all, on
> the "headline price".
> By contrast, I look from time to time at Dell prices, and when I actually
> compare like-for-like I find that in the U.K. they seem to charge up to $100
> *more* for Linux rather than Windows!  Presumably I'll be told that everybody
> wins if one buys a Windows machine and over-writes it with Linux, in that:-
>
> - Dell makes a profit on the Windows and the installation of crapware.
> - Microsoft makes a profit, and convinces Joe Public that
>      Windows is cheap or "free" on a new machine
> - The Linux user gets a cheaper machine than buying one with Linux
> pre-loaded!
>
> However, what has cheered me throughout on pre-loaded Linux offerings is
> that, almost by definition, the manufacturer is selling a true "Linux-ready"
> machine.

...With Microsoft 'Linux tax' (codecs). As happy as I am that Dell sells these
Ubuntu boxes, it's probably better than just get a PC without an O/S (and
without Intel, NVidia).

When you buy a Ubuntu PC from Dell, Microsoft is still paid, by Fleundo at the
very least. Dell joined the Novell/Microsoft deal over a year ago.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake
 14:20:01 up 35 days, 26 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.72, 0.73