[News] Upgrade from Vista is Mandriva GNU/Linux

Downgrade to XP or Upgrade to Mandriva

,----[ Quote ]
| My friend wanted a low cost Laptop and went for Dell 1525. Here in Singapore,
| it is really a value for money Notebook. For SGD 1099 we get a full featured
| Laptop with the following Configuration
|
| Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T2390
| Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
| 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
| 15.4” WXGA Display with Integrated 2.0 mega pixel web cam
| 160GB* SATA Hard Drive
| 8X DVD Burner
| Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
| Dell™ Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini-card
| 1-Year Limited Warranty (Next Business Day On-Site* Service)
|
| Everything is OK with this Laptop, just one issue- It has Vista Basic. Now
| Vista Basic does not have the cool features of Home Premium, nor is it as
| snappy as Windows XP. Dell also installs a 30-days subscription of McAffee
| anti-virus, which although secures the system, but at the same time further
| makes Vista slower. To further accentuate the problem he uses Netbeans ( his
| company uses it )for his java development work and had to use OpenOffice ( he
| does not want to pay SGD 200 for a basic version of MS Office ). Now these
| two are resource hungry and make Vista crawl.
|
| [...]
|
| Now these are enough for normal working of an average user. However, he
| wanted  Netbeans which was an easy download and install from Netbeans
| website. To our amazement, Mandriva Live CD was easily able to takeup
| OpenOffice, Firefox and Netbeans all at the same time. Please Note that
| LiveCD also takes up good amount of RAM.
|
| Here we had Mandriva running from RAM and still faster than INSTALLED Vista
| Basic on the same hardware. All the hardware was properly detected and
| working out-of-box; most of the software that he would use on Vista was also
| on Mandriva ( OpenOffice, Firefox and Netbeans) and the best part is that for
| Mandriva he does not have to buy any anti-virus.
`----

http://www.lazytechguy.com/2008/08/downgrade-to-xp-or-upgrade-to-mandriva.html

Recent:

Mandriva Linux - Wonderful and Maddening

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008593o-2000498448b,00.htm