Re: [News] Wine 1.1.3 Released

____/ 7 on Saturday 23 August 2008 10:56 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> [Wine 1.1.3 Released]
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The Wine development release 1.1.3 is now available.
>> |
>> | What's new in this release (see below for details):
>> |   - Beginnings of ddraw overlay support.
>> |   - Many more crypt32 functions.
>> |   - Improved support for tables in Richedit.
>> |   - Support for NETWM window maximization.
>> |   - Many installer fixes.
>> |   - Tweaks for better PulseAudio support.
>> |   - Various bug fixes.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.winehq.org/?announce=1.1.3
>

> I personally feel software development houses, management
> and big corporate buyers should insist that any products
> bought or downloaded for the windows platform MUST run
> 100% well on WINE 1.x before it can be allowed to be adopted.
>
> The speed advantages of WINE 1.x on a dual core Linux machine
> is that products run faster. If micoshaft stops shipping xp,
> then it can still run OK on WINE. Software houses should
> advertise in advance that they support their products under WINE.
> Any that refuse should be passed over for companies that do
> support their products under wine.
>
> Companies that make products work 100% well under WINE also
> gain the benefit of knowing that they are using more standardized
> and installers that will install across xp and other windows machines.
> And if it doesn't work, then they get to know there is a problem and should
> fix it. But better still, if micoshaft change something to destroy
> a company, and it still works well under WINE, then at least for the
> big customers, you can recommend Linux and WINE to keep the money
> rolling in.
>
> For strategic reasons, WINE compliance is a good idea all around
> for management to push throughout their companies.

They ought to start some compliance program whereby companies are rewarded
(e.g. with promotion) for developing with Wine in mind.

In the process, some of the largest companies (Google for example) can
contribute patches to reach the compatibility goal. Everyone wins with these
patches added.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Cpu(s): 21.5%us,  3.7%sy,  0.1%ni, 73.3%id,  1.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st