[News] Amazon Openness Through OpenDocument Format, No DRM?

Why Kindle Must Support ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as I am aware, there is no support for ODF. Assuming Kindle catches
| on, that's going to be an increasing problem for those of us pushing ODF.
|
| Maybe time to start a campaign for ODF support on the Kindle....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/08/why-kindle-must-support-odf.html

Recent:

Open source and the Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| This week I tried downloading Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey from Project
| Gutenberg. Because the Kindle easily can read .txt, .pdf (i.e., PDF can be
| converted into a supported format), and other file formats, it's easy to get
| free content like Northanger Abbey into the Kindle.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9982318-16.html

Related:

A reverse engineer finds Kindle's hidden features

,----[ Quote ]
| Getting a real Linux command line took more work. By looking at the file
| system, Skochinsky found a root password of "Fiona"--but also found that
| password had been changed before shipping.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9838934-39.html

Mobipocket books on Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| We've known for some time already that Amazon's AZW files are actually Mobi
| files, but Amazon didn't share Kindle's Mobi PID which would allow one to buy
| encrypted Mobi books for Kindle.
| Well, I've discovered the algorithm used to generate the PID and was able to
|            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| use it on Fictionwise, but there was another catch. AZW files have a flag set
| in the DRM info which is not present in books bought from other vendors.
|        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| After fixing that, I could read the book on Kindle.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/mobipocket-books-on-kindle.html

The Cult of Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| I’d not given Amazon’s Kindle ebook reader much chance of succeeding given
| the stratospheric price tag combined with DRM, but then I started reading the
| customer reviews for it and just realized that the Kindle has already amassed
| quite a considerable cult following, and this could be crucial to its
| success.
|
| [...]
|
| The DRM issue also bothers me.  Well, not the DRM so much but the feeling
| that if this service did tank, you’d end up with a $400 paperweight and no
| access to the books you bought.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1023

Kindle, Eee PC top Amazon.com 'most wanted' list

,----[ Quote]
| Ironically, perhaps, it was the N810 that was the only meachine ahead of the
| Eee PC in Amazon.com's list of best-selling notebooks. Even though the N810
| isn't a notebook, in the true, computery sense of the word.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/22/eee_pc_americas_most_wanted/

Kindle sold out

,----[ Quote ]