[News] Patents Kill; Open Source Brought to Medicine

How Sick Are Patents? Ask Indonesia

,----[ Quote ]
| Got that? Indonesia releases the sequences, and the US CDC does indeed patent
| that information, a situation which could then force Indonesia to pay for
| vaccines based on its own sequence data to protect its citizens. This
| probably means that fewer vaccines will be bought, more people will die, more
| mutations in the flu virus, and more deaths globally. So how, exactly, is
| this particular intellectual monopoly good for the world?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-sick-are-patents-ask-indonesia.html

Bringing Medical Records to Developing Countries--OSS Style

,----[ Quote ]
| In conjunction with OpenMRS, Pentaho is integrating its open source business
| intelligence suite with OpenMRS' central medical records system focused on
| developing countries. "Pentaho brings proven open source tools and the right
| expertise to help reduce the amount of redundant efforts in collecting,
| managing, and analyzing health services information," said Paul Biondich M.D.
| and IT Project Lead for OpenMRS.
`----

http://ostatic.com/171435-blog/bringing-medical-records-to-developing-countries-oss-style
http://tinyurl.com/5f8dx5

Recent:

Sick Idea: Using Patents to Kill People

,----[ Quote ]
| Poignant? It's basic human decency. Imagine being unable to use a life-saving
| technique on a patient simply because it was "patented", and the licensing
| fees were exorbitant. Imagine, indeed, the situation in developing countries
| that can't even afford medical equipment, much less absurd, intellectual
| monopolies.
|
| There's a reason we don't have patents on such things: they represent basic
| human knowledge of the kind whose invention and transmission down the
| generations lies at the heart of our civilisation and humanity. The day we
| start charging for this kind of thing is the day we as a race are in deep,
| deep trouble.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/03/sick-idea-using-patents-to-kill-people.html

Surgical exceptions to patentability -- clash of principles, few EPO examiners
hurt

,----[ Quote ]
| Of all the exclusions from patentability, most poignant is the bar on
| patenting methods of surgery, therapy or diagnosis practised on the human or
| animal body. While it seeks to release medical practitioners from the
| shackles of commercial monopoly and legal liability when choosing how best to
| treat their patients, many argue that its true effect is to stifle the
| creation, publication and promulgation of new techniques that save lives or
| improve their quality.
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2008/03/surgical-exceptions-to-patentability.html

Related: