[News] OEMs Need GNU/Linux for Independence from a Convicted Monopoly Abuser

Can the dog start wagging the tail?

,----[ Quote ]
| What do you think would happen if any of these headlines showed up today?
|
| "Dell to pre-install Open Office across product line"
| "Lenovo to offer Suse Linux Enterprise across product line"
| "Acer in talks with IBM for pre-installed Symphony"
|
| Well, here's the likely scenarios.
|
| Dell would be offered $30 Office if pre-installed over Open Office
| Lenovo would see it's effective price of Vista dropped to make SLED more
| expensive
| Acer would be offered $30 Office if pre-installed over Symphony
|

| [...]
|
| With these kinds of developments in the computing world, it is very very hard
| to command the kinds of margins you used to.
|
| So the simple question is, for how much longer can the tail wag the dog? It
| won't be all that long until the dog realizes that hey "I can wag it myself".
`----

http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/2008/08/can-dog-start-wagging-tail.html

Recent:

Is Linux currently at a fundamental disadvantage owing to how computers are set
up?

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell offers full blown computers with Linux installed, presumably, with the
| engineering I'm talking about done. And over time we can expect to see a full
| range of different levels of offerings in between. I think when out of the
| box Linux computers start to become the default Linux for the average end
| user, and the engineering issues become backgrounded for Linux like they are
| now for Windows, that we may start to see more momentum in the direction of
| Linux to the exclusion of Windows. And, for a special breed of user, we'll
| see Linux being chosen over Mac.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2008/07/is_linux_currently_at_a_fundam.php?utm_source=sbhomepage&utm_medium=link&utm_content=channellink

More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
| the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
| — or, maybe we’ll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
| order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoft’s pressure.
|
| The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoft’s
| pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/more_evidence_microsoft_tying_up_the_asus_eeepc

Related:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Dell's secret Linux fling

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/122106/PLEX0_2455.pdf

Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa Attorne

,----[ Quote ]
| Going back now to as early as 1998, Microsoft starts to realize that
| Linux might pose a possible threat, and Vinod Valloppillil, who is
| a program manager at Microsoft, is asked by Mr. Allchin, Jim Allchin,
| to analyze potential strategies for combatting open-source software,
| and specifically Linux.
| His memos are leaked to the press in April -- I beg your pardon --
| in October of 1998 and become known as the Halloween documents.
| And the evidence will be that Microsoft uses its influence in the
| OEM channel, the computer manufacture channel, to make sure that
| end users have a difficult time buying PCs with Linux preinstalled.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Microsoft_Shuts_Down_Linux_10_Years_Ago_Says_Iowa_Attorney

Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

,----[ Quote ]