[News] Microsoft's ODF Talk Part of Old Scam

Some thoughts on the Microsoft’s implementation of ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Now you have Microsoft’s bellydancing and basically declaring that they, who
| sell the “best office suite on the market” (I don’t make that claim) will
| offer poor support on ODF because of product limitations. Am I the only one
| here feeling that Redmond is trying -again-to play games? Any additional
| information would be welcome at this stage, of course, but the market should
| pay close attention to this issue.
|
| I have hailed and declared myself positively satisfied the inclusion of
| Microsoft in the ODF committees at the OASIS consortium. I have read the
| contributions of its employees and they were useful and constructive. This
| being said, Doug’s blog leaves me with an odd taste in my mouth.
|
| To be frank, I feel that Doug has been looking for a way to tell us that
| Microsoft’s support of ODF will be crappy and that it was intended to be that
| way. I realize I have no substantial evidence of what I’m asserting here, but
| since when does Microsoft speak of the new features of MS Office with a sorry
| tone?
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/12/17/some-thoughts-on-the-microsofts-implementation-of-odf/

Compatibility, interoperability, and interchangeability

,----[ Quote ]
| I often find it amusing when people pull out a very significant sounding,
| obviously committee-written definition of “interoperability.” If I didn’t
| know better, I would have thought that the definition was written and then
| delivered on a stone tablet. Is this necessary, or is interoperability one of
| those things that you know when you see it?
|
| [...]
|
| With cloud computing becoming more and more important, people are correctly
| asking questions about standards. My sense is that virtually none of the
| cloud environments are interchangeable and that interoperability among them
| is sketchy, at best. Unless one provider ends up being overwhelmingly
| dominant, interoperability will need to be improved.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2979

They try to lock out OOo and give a bad name to ODF.

Recent:

Microsoft spits out ODF plans for Office 2007 SP2

,----[ Quote ]
| Even the European Commission questioned Microsoft’s intentions. After all, it
| had been dogged by less-than-pretty grumbles from a range of opponents about
| the software giant’s campaign to get its contentious Office Open XML (OOXML)
| document format approved as an international standard at the second time of
| trying.
|
| EC regulators said they would investigate whether that announcement really
| did mean "better interoperability", allowing customers "to process and
| exchange their documents with the software product of their choice".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/microsoft_office_2007_sp2_odf_support/

Microsoft Invites to ODF Workshop in Redmond

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe this invitation has something to do with Microsoft's public "ODF has
| clearly won" statement at a recent event. Thus, if Microsoft has to support
| ODF in their products due to market demand, what ISV can still ignore
| supporting ODF? I guess none! Anyway, OpenOffice.org is just one
| implementation of ODF and is facing more than 1.2M downloads per week (!!!)
| on average (since the beginning of 2008) with most recent download numbers
| having been close to 2M.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/microsoft_invites_to_odf_workshop

BE, NL: governments will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked to comment on last week's ISO approval for OOXML, Fedict's chief IT
| architect, Peter Strickx, said: "There will have to be multiple
| implementations, in order for us not to become dependent on a single vendor.
| It will also have to be compatible with open standards that we already use,
| in this case Open Document Format ODF."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7562

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561