[News] A Look Back at Another Excellent Year for GNU/Linux

Top Linux Moments of 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s been a rather interesting year for Linux, with just enough ups and downs
| to keep us on our toes.  And, being as it is the heart of December, I figured
| now is a good time to scour through the Linux Action Shows of the past year
| and find, what I consider to be, the top moments from 2008.
`----

http://lunduke.com/?p=50

NVIDIA Linux 2008 Year in Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday we had published our AMD Linux 2008 Year in Review where we had
| provided a recap of all major features introduced in their Linux driver over
| the past year as well as taking the time to re-benchmark every Catalyst
| driver released this year. We have been doing this process annually going
| back to 2005, and now it's time to look at the NVIDIA Linux driver releases
| from this year.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_ayir_2008&num=1

Recent:

Ten Linux and Open Source milestones in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
|     * In what has to be the longest development time that I know of Wine
|     finally reached its 1.0 release. Wine allows you to run windows programs
|     under Linux.
|
|     * The Amazon internet jungle giant has given the nod to developers and
|     released service level agreements for Linux users of its Elastic Compute
|     Cloud.
|
|     * The coffee lovers of us do like a good cup of Java (I have a hot one
|     right next to me now, tantalising me with its smell.) Now you can have
|     your Java free of proprietary restraints. The free and open Java
|     development kit, started by sun and continued on by Redhat has reached
|     its milestone by passing the Java test compatibility kit.

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/ten-linux-and-open-source-milestones-in-2008-28776

Related:

Editors' retrospective -- Linux Devices in 2007

,----[ Quote ]
|     * Mobile Internet tablets took off, fueled by Nokia's N800 and N810
|     models, as well as Intel's Mobile Internet Device (MID) project...
|
|     * The mobile browser wars began in earnest, with commercial vendors like
|     Opera, Access, and OpenWave taking a backseat to open source browser
|     projects...
|
|     * As the "post-PC" world shifts attention from desktops and laptops to
|     new form factors such as mobile Internet tablets...

2007 Roundup: Open source comes of age

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2206244/roundup-gpl-olpc-hit-open