[News] Free Software Chosen by Security Experts for Security

Open source security is the future

,----[ Quote ]
| Security practitioners today face a near-impossible task of bringing order to
| a technology landscape in which the problem space is accelerating beyond the
| reach of the available solutions. Most enterprise networks are already well
| out of control, and the situation will get much worse. Tackling this dilemma
| is arguably the greatest technology challenge that we face.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/david_lacey/2008/12/open_source_security_is_the_fu.html

Here's a bunch of MBAs that read Partner Group's poison pens:

Security Manager's Journal: A wish list for fiscal 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| One option is open-source software. My company has always been reluctant to
| use free software -- even banning it in a semi-official way until just
| recently. Objections have been based on the perception that open source is
| unreliable, would require dependence on a few key people with the expertise
| to support whichever tools we might use, and would generate high support
| costs. But now the company's stance has gone from "No open source"
| to "Demonstrate that open source will save us money." In this economy, money
| talks.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=&articleId=330857&taxonomyId=&intsrc=kc_feat

Open-source software security vendor praises 25 projects

,----[ Quote ]
| Palamida, a vendor that sells software and services around open-source
| software security and legal compliance, has named 25 open-source projects
| companies should not hesitate to use.
|
| Some, such as the Eclipse IDE (integrated development environment) and the
| MySQL database, are widely known. But Palamida also included software like
| the FreeType font engine and script.aculo.us, a set of JavaScript libraries
| for Web 2.0-style applications and sites.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/121608-open-source-software-security-vendor-praises.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Recent:

Virus hits nearly 75% of systems on Afghanistan military base

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2232&tag=nl.e550

Computer Virus Hits U.S. Military Base in Afghanistan

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/iraq/2008/11/28/computer-virus-hits-us-military-base-in-afghanistan.html