[News] New Version of XFree86 is Out, AMD/ATI Contributions Noted

XFree86 4.8.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| For those still living in XFree86 land, version 4.8.0 of this X Window System
| implementation is now available. This is the first major update to XFree86 in
| about a year and a half, but with changes that aren't too exciting and have
| already been available through X.Org.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjkzMA

AMD Linux 2008 Year in Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year when publishing our AMD Year in Review article there were numerous
| new features to account for, including but not limited to the new OpenGL
| driver, support for Compiz, and the AMD Catalyst Control Center Linux
| Edition. This year has been another interesting year for AMD's Linux efforts
| on both the open and closed fronts. We are focusing on their Catalyst driver
| efforts in this article, which has picked up support for CrossFire, is now
| capable of being overclocked with OverDrive, and AMD is now delivering
| same-day Linux product support. In this article we will recap some of the
| highlights from the Catalyst driver releases this year as well as set out on
| a benchmarking extravaganza.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_ayir_2008&num=1

Recent:

ATI Radeon HD 4850 Linux Performance

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD is also quickly ascending to a feature parity between the Windows and
| Linux Catalyst suites. As we shared last week, CrossFire is coming to Linux
| next quarter.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ati_radeonhd_4850&num=1

AMD Makes An Evolutionary Leap In Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Tux being part of their licensed box design, forthcoming CrossFire support,
| and other major features coming are major wins for the Linux community. For
| those concerned that AMD is attempting to build back up its binary blockade,
| don't worry as their open-source strategy will continue with the RV770. AMD
| engineers are in the process of sanitizing the programming documentation for
| this brand new GPU for public release in the coming weeks. We suspect the
| xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd developers will have the documentation
| even sooner under NDA. In addition, the open-sourcing of KGrids and TCore
| will be relevant and helpful for the 2D and 3D RV770 open-source support.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_evolution&num=1

AMD teraflop processor is all about open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Stream SDK’s Brook+ front-end is available as open source code.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2008/06/16/43935/amd-teraflop-processor-is-all-about-open-source.htm
http://tinyurl.com/68qs26

AMD Releases Stream SDK For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA's competition for Stream computing is CUDA, which is the Compute
| Unified Device Architecture, or CUDA for short. CUDA has been supported on
| Linux now for some time and NVIDIA is in the process of bringing PhysX to
| CUDA, for physics acceleration thanks to their acquisition of AGEIA. Intel's
| competition is Ct, or C for Throughput Computing.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_stream_released&num=1

AMD Stream SDK Coming To Linux Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA has long supported their CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture)
| technology on Linux for allowing general-purpose code algorithms to be
| executed on the graphics processor, while AMD and their Stream Computing
| support has been absent on Linux. AMD has only been supporting their Stream
| SDK on Windows XP, but this morning we have confirmation that the Software
| Development Kit will be released for Linux in the coming days.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ2Mw

Related:

Chips and Motherboards that support a Free BIOS - LinuxBIOS

,----[ Quote ]
| You can help our campaign by buying AMD CPU chips and not buying Intel. AMD
| have been helpful but Intel needs to be persuaded. Likewise, buy motherboards
| that support free BIOS. Tyan Computer Corporation are very helpful to the
| LinuxBIOS project and employ a full-time LinuxBIOS developer.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427