[News] Broken Patent Law Leads to Abuse, No Solution in Sight

Dear Google: We're Suing You For Patent Infringement... But Not In A Litigious
Way

,----[ Quote ]
| Eric Goldman has an amusing patent lawsuit filed against Google for alleged
| violations of two patents by Google Reader. The two patents (one and two)
| have to do with information "coordination and retrieval" with one of them
| dating back to the late 80s.
|
| [...]
|
| Specifically, the filing suggests that the inventor really, really doesn't
| want to file a patent infringement lawsuit, and is really hoping that Google
| doesn't think it's litigious or get upset about it. Instead, the inventor
| claims that legal precedence forced him to file the lawsuit rather than
| negotiate.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081212/0113183100.shtml

Who Should Be In Charge Of Patent Reform?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, what this probably means is that despite plenty of hand-wringing
| and tons upon tons of evidence of harm done by the current patent system,
| nothing is going to change any time soon.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081209/0325303064.shtml

Recent:

Economist Critic of Software Patents gets Nobel Prize

,----[ Quote ]
| The FFII congratulates Eric S. Maskin, an economist who has long criticised
| the patenting of software, for receiving the 2007 Nobel Prize for Economics.
| Prof. Maskin and two colleagues receive the Prize for research into the
| optimal design of economic mechanisms. By applying his theory to the IT
| sector, Maskin demonstrated "that in such a dynamic industry, patent
| protection may reduce overall innovation and welfare."
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/Economist_Critic_of_Software_Patents_gets_Nobel_Prize

Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel Laureates
Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent monopolies are believed to drive innovation but they actually impede
| the pace of science and innovation, Stiglitz said. The current “patent
| thicket,” in which anyone who writes a successful software programme is sued
| for alleged patent infringement, highlights the current IP system’s failure
| to encourage innovation, he said.
|
| Another problem is that the social returns from innovation do not accord with
| the private returns associated with the patent system, Stiglitz said. The
| marginal benefit from innovation is that an idea may become available sooner
| than it might have. But the person who secures the patent on it wins a
| long-term monopoly, creating a gap between private and social returns.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129

ICC calls on business to understand that IP is now a major political issue

,----[ Quote ]
| That said, there are a number of companies where there is IP awareness. The
| problem here though is that they see the IP system in so many different ways
| and want very different things from it. The recent Patent Reform Act debate
| in the US showed this very clearly. And what it also demonstrated is that
| when IP owners fight among themselves, it leaves very big spaces for people
| with a general anti-IP message to exploit; something that harms all rights
| owners, no matter what side of a specific argument they are on. The same
| thing happened in Europe with regard to the CII Directive and could well
| happen again if there is ever any political agreement on the Community patent
| and the European patent court.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=e4431e82-a26f-48a9-81ef-b5d37edbd39c

$10K For Microsoft's Club Dues

,----[ Quote ]
| After Microsoft went public with its patent licensing specs the other day, I
| took a closer look at the agreements you have to sign -- and the cash you
| have to fork over. To license patents from any one Microsoft product, you
| need to pay $10,000 up front, no questions asked, on top of per-copy-sold
| duties for your product.
|
| It's about what I expected from Microsoft. Good on them that they allow you
| to peruse and make use of the protocols without charge if you just want to
| work with them privately and not develop something that's going to be
| released to others. But everything outside of that requires payment -- and
| that $10K entry dues per Microsoft product is a great way to keep all of the
| noncommercial open source players out of the game.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/10k_for_microso.html

WIPO patent committee embarks on positive agenda

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.keionline.org/index.php?option=com_jd-wp&Itemid=39&p=124