Re: [News] GNU/Linux the Best Operating System for SSD

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Sunday 14 December 2008 15:54 : \____

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=knowledge_center&articleId=9123140&taxonomyId=1&intsrc=kc_top

>> Linux numero unu... proprietary counterparts just playing catchup.
>
> You misread, Roy!  That articles claims that Win 2000 is best.
>
> However, there is a /huge/ problem with this "test".  The problem is that
> there are a few things you can or need to do to a Linux distro to
> improve its performance on drives with a solid-state system.
>
>    o  Put transient directories such as /var/log, /var/run, /var/lock, and
>       /tmp on RAM disk.
>
>    o  Set "noatime" on the partitions that are on the SSD.
>
>    o  Disable or lengthen the time between updates of the "locate" database.
>
>    o  Change the I/O scheduler from cfq (completely fair queing) to
>       noop or deadline.
>
>    o  Make sure your apps (e.g. Firefox) cache to RAM instead of your /home.
>
> And of course there's general advice such as reducing the number of daemons
> that run, if possible.
>
> Here's the ticket:
>
>    When will operating systems be optimized?
>
>    Even if operating systems aren't yet optimized for SSDs, they likely will
>    be as the technology gains ground. Last month, at its Windows Hardware
>    Engineering Conference (WinHEC) in Los Angeles, Microsoft promised that
>    its upcoming Windows 7 would work better with SSDs.
>
> Sounds like another Mindcraft benchmark to me.

Microsoft only sells Vista though. It's not leaping back to 2000.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"Bill Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any
way he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract.
There is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage."
                --Philippe Kahn