[News] Patent Pools Are a Scam, Finds Academic Paper

Patent Pools Harming Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent pools tend to come about when you have a lot of patents in and around
| a particular product, creating "patent thickets" where a bunch of different
| patent holders all hold onto important pieces of the puzzle. T
| he worst case scenario, then, is that nothing can get done, as it's
| impossible for anyone to innovate without being hit by a ridiculous number of
| lawsuits. To us, this is a sign of the patent system clearly not working. If
| so many different elements all need to be patented separately, then mistakes
| were made in the patenting process. You get, as Michael Heller has called it,
| a gridlock situation. Our solution? Throw out such patents, because they're
| clearly hindering, rather than enabling, innovation.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081207/1717133041.shtml

Do Patent Pools Encourage Innovation? Evidence from the 19th-Century Sewing
Machine Industry

Did Google Just Patent Gears? Why?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google’s official stance about the US patent system is that it is broken.
`----

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2008/12/11/did-google-just-patent-gears-why/

Recent:

Google, Microsoft Sued Over Keyword Auction Patent

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206504250