[News] The Microsoft-obedient Press is Dying (Good Riddance)

Media Companies Have Only Themselves to Blame

,----[ Quote ]
| The recession is hitting everyone. But print media companies -- newspapers,
| books and magazines -- are getting hit harder and sooner than most.
|
| It's their own damned fault. Like the US automakers and the music industry,
| print media companies squandered most of their time and money during boom
| times clinging to the past rather than preparing for the future. And now
| they're left totally unprepared for the bust.
|
| How bad is it? It's bad.
|
| The Tribune Company filed for bankruptcy Monday. The company publishes the
| Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune and other daily newspapers. The New
| York Times Co. intends to pawn its shiny new Manhattan building to borrow a
| quarter of a billion dollars just to stop the bleeding. Other major dailies
| are either for sale, or rumored to be so, including the Rocky Mountain News,
| the Miami Herald and others. The Cox newspaper group is closing its
| Washington bureau. Most newspapers have announced layoffs, or will do so
| soon.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/features/article.php/3790616/Media+Companies+Have+Only+Themselves+to+Blame.htm

Editor's Note: Does the Internet Make People Stupid?

,----[ Quote ]
| I've read a number of essays recently that claim that the modern information
| society makes people stupid. The print publication industry is in decline, so
| people are reading fewer printed books, magazines, and newspapers. These are
| replaced by the intellectual junk food of the Web and television. The people
| who write these pieces are passionate, articulate, refer to all kinds of
| studies, quote all kinds of people, and I suspect get paid well to write
| them. But it's all for naught because it's hooey.
|
| If anything we have too much information at our fingertips. Online publishing
| is replacing print publishing. Sorting it all out and knowing what to believe
| becomes a larger problem than gathering the information in the first place.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-12-13-001-35-OP

It's the same with Microsoft which is clinging on to its old and dying business
model, along with shoddy & insecure-by-design software.

Recent:

Good-Bye PC Magazine

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, almost all of my work appears online first. I’m fine with that. Still,
| I got my start with now long gone print publications like Byte and
| PC/Computing. Seeing PC Magazine, the most popular of all the print PC
| publications leave is like seeing an old friend moving to another country. I
| know he’ll still be alive out there online, but it just isn’t going to be the
| same.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/business/good-bye-pc-magazine/

Ziff Davis files for bankruptcy protection

,----[ Quote ]
| Print and Web publisher Ziff Davis Media filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
| protection on Wednesday, citing declining advertising revenue and
| subscriptions as contributing factors, according an Associated Press report
| Wednesday.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9887337-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Breaking: Wikileaks Missing

,----[ Quote ]
| Breaking News has just learned that Wikileaks — the website utilized to post
| materials obtained from Republican Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin's
| personal Yahoo mail account — is, for undisclosed reasons, no longer
| available online. The extent of the outage is not currently known, thought it
| appears all mirrors of the site are offline, including domains for the United
| Kingdom, Belgium, and Christmas Island.
|
| We have been unable to identify the source of the outage, though the internet
| is alive with rumors. Paramount among them is the obvious and expected
| suggestion that U.S. law enforcement — who are known to be investigating the
| incident — has shut down the site. However, Wikileaks is hosted by Swedish
| provider PRQ — notorious for employing a "no questions asked" policy towards
| its customers — and U.S. authorities would lack the jurisdiction to take
| action against PRQ.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/breaking-wikilinks-missing

Wikileaks Shutdown: Censorship Is Censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| If Wikileaks were a print publication, the injunction that has shut down the
| site would be unthinkable. Back in 1931, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a
| Minnesota law that allowed the closing of any "malicious, scandalous and
| defamatory" periodical. This court, by contrast, has not only barred future
| publication of the documents at issue but elected to put Wikileaks out of
| business.

Free Speech Advocates Mount Legal Battle to Unchain Wikileaks

,----[ Quote ]
| In Bank Julius Baer & Co., Ltd v. Wikileaks, et al, the plaintiff claims that
| the posting of certain documents to the Wikileaks site violated Swiss and
| Cayman Island bank secrecy laws.
|
| Judge Jeffrey White ordered domain registrar Dynadot to disable Wikileaks.org
| to lift the injunction claim that it violates the First Amendment.

WikiLeaks Under Fire

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/18/043211&from=rss