[News] GPL Violator and Leech Cisco Taken to Task by Free Software

Vyatta hits Cisco ISR with open-source challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| Network company Vyatta has launched a router using open source to undercut
| Cisco's branch office flagship, the ISR 2800 and 3800 family. Meanwhile, a
| Vyatta executive has criticised Cisco's attitude to open source.
|
| Vyatta's 2502 has eight times as much memory as the Cisco ISR, and costs
| $2,747 (around £1700), for functions Vyatta says are equivalent to the higher
| end Cisco 3800 product, which has a list price of more than $6000. It's like
| getting a Cisco 3800 for less than a Cisco 2800, with more features and
| functions to boot," said Kelly Herrell, chief executive of Vyatta.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/mobility/news/index.cfm?newsid=108331

"If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good."
                --Bill Gates, Microsoft

GPL Violations: Is Cisco the Big One?

,----[ Quote ]
| Many sceptics were convinced that as free software spread out beyond hackers
| into the general computing sector the rigorous GNU GPL licence would
| gradually be replaced by more accommodating – meaning weaker – forms, since
| it was “obvious” that its unbending rules were too strict for widespread use.
| In fact, the GPL has grown in importance, until today it is probably fair to
| say that it underpins most of the free software world, including enterprise
| applications. This makes any violation of its terms particularly worrying,
| because if left unchallenged, it threatens to undermine the entire ecosystem.
|
| [...]
|
| Against that background, I don't think the current alleged violations are an
| intentional attack on the GNU GPL – the “Big One” that everyone is waiting
| for to settle definitively its legal validity - but spring rather from a
| fundamental misunderstanding of what free software is about. Since it doesn't
| understand why people really care about being able to see the up-to-date
| source code, Cisco probably didn't think it would matter if it didn't comply
| fully with the GNU GPL licence. Once it realises that its ignorance and
| indifference is seriously damaging its reputation among a key constituency –
| that of developers – I predict it will soon comply with the licence, not
| least because it will cost a trivial amount of money and effort to do so.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/gpl-violations-cisco-big-one

Recent:

Is Cisco an open source leech?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, the use of open source has benefited Cisco's bottom line. But is it
| possible that Cisco's customers have also benefited from new features faster
| as a result of Cisco engineers not having to work on "commodity" function? I
| suspect the answer is yes.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/12/is_cisco_and_op.html

Cisco Romancing Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is asking developers to instead think "inside the box"
| to create applications that will run on the Linux based Cisco AXP module.
| It's tossing in $100,000 in prize money just to keep it interesting.
|
| Linux Application availability alone isn't the only thing Cisco is after.
| It's making sure the developer ecosystem has a revenue model that will keep
| Cisco and developers in the black.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3777891/Cisco+Romancing+Linux+Developers.htm

How Cisco exploits open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco, facing growing pressure from open source Vyatta (turn your used
| servers into routers, free), is adding Linux to its routers and hoping
| partners can help it keep its margins high.
|
| A good example of how this works is the AXP Routers for Branch Offices the
| company announced in April.
|
| Sashi Kiran, whose title is senior manager – network systems, gave me an
| update on how this is going today.
|
| The AXP line offers Linux-based integration with a downloadable SDK,
| targeting an underserved niche.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3007

Vyatta Aims Higher

,----[ Quote ]
| Belmont, Calif.-based open source router maker Vyatta has issued a flurry of
| press releases since the start of the year. The most significant news was the
| most recent: the release of its Community Edition 4.
`----

http://www.isp-planet.com/news/2008/vyatta_ce_4_data_center.html

Related:

Vyatta: A high-end Linux-based firewall and router

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's play a Linux word association game. Red Hat is to Microsoft as Vyatta
| is to Cisco.

Free x86 Linux router distro rev'd

,----[ Quote ]