[News] Progress Report About Linux Filesystem, Binary NVIDIA Drivers

Kernel Log: New kernel versions, progress with Btrfs and Tux3

,----[ Quote ]
| After the release of kernel version 2.6.27.7 in the second half of November,
| the maintainers of the stable kernel series recently released version
| 2.6.27.8. Both versions contain a fix for a security vulnerability, while in
| 2.6.27.8 more than a hundred other changes offer small improvements and
| correct flaws, like the cosmetic improvement to fix the "dirty feet" of the
| penguins displayed when booting the framebuffer console.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Kernel-Log-New-kernel-versions-progress-with-Btrfs-and-Tux3--/news/112244

NVIDIA 180.16 Beta Linux Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| It was just eleven days ago that NVIDIA had released the 180.11 Beta Linux
| Driver, but in the wee hours of Saturday morning NVIDIA has pushed out a new
| beta driver. This driver contains a few fixes, support for new GPUs, and an
| updated implementation of the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_18016&num=1

"I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
they should do a delicate dance"

                --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief

Recent:

Tux3: the other next-generation filesystem

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a great deal of activity around Linux filesystems currently. Of the
| many ongoing efforts, two receive the most attention: ext4, the extension of
| ext3 expected to keep that filesystem design going for a few more years, and
| btrfs, which is seen by many as the long-term filesystem of the future. But
| there is another project out there which is moving quickly and is worth a
| look: Daniel Phillips's Tux3 filesystem.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/309094/

Btrfs 0.16, Improved Scalability And Performance

,----[ Quote ]
| "Btrfs v0.16 is available for download," began Chris Mason, announcing the
| latest release of his new Btrfs filesystem. He noted, "v0.16 has a shiny new
| disk format, and is not compatible with filesystems created by older Btrfs
| releases. But, it should be the fastest Btrfs yet, with a wide variety of
| scalability fixes and new features." Improved scalability and performance
| improvements include fine grained btree locking, pushing CPU intensive
| operations such as checksumming into their own background threads, improved
| data=ordered mode, and a new cache to reduce IO requirements when cleaning up
| old transactions.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_0.16_Improved_Scalability_And_Performance

Kernel space: a better btrfs