[News] [Rival] Windows Zombies More Urgent Than Great Depression?

Forget The Economy, Security Vendor Says Cybercrime Is The Real Threat

,----[ Quote ]
| You might have noticed that the economy is in the tank. Something about
| this "credit crunch" and "recession" and whatnot. But the amount of attention
| governments around the world are paying to these issues is giving cybercrime
| a foothold, according to a new study from a -- yep, you guessed it --
| security vendor...
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081210/1026493076.shtml

Downturn may turn techies to crime, say reports

,----[ Quote ]
| Desperate IT workers who have been laid off will go rogue in 2009, selling
| corporate data and using crimeware, reports have predicted.
|
| The credit crunch will drive some IT workers to use their skills to steal
| credit-card data using phishing attacks, and abuse their privileged corporate
| computer access to sell off valuable financial and intellectual information,
| forensic experts have warned.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-255464.html

"I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
they should do a delicate dance"

                --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace

Dutch police arrest 19-year-old accused of bot herding

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1469030552&rid=-50