[News] Power Guide to GIMP; Nathive Image Editor Goes GPLv3

6 Ways to Get Much More Out of GIMP

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, is a long-standing and hugely
| respected open source graphics program, and many readers probably already use
| it. Originally created at U.C. Berkeley its interface and feature set runs
| neck-and-neck with expensive proprietary alternatives such as Photoshop, and
| it has a thriving community of developers and plug-in creators. The GIMP site
| has many useful resources for the application, and there are also a lot of
| other places to visit for turning yourself into a power user of this
| excellent cross-platform application that always leaves new users bewildered
| that it is free. Here are six good choices.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/6-ways-to-get-much-more-out-of-gimp

Nathive source under GPL and 0.811 alpha released

,----[ Quote ]
| Hello, I'm pleased to let you know that Nathive image editor project has
| released new alpha version (0.811) with changes detailed below and, most
| important, source code under the terms of GNU GPLv3 Free Software License.
`----

http://www.nathive.org/news/20081124/

Recent:

5 Great Alternative To Photoshop

,----[ Quote ]
| If there is anything to complaint about, then it has to be the high cost
| (US$649) involved in buying the software.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/5-great-alternative-to-photoshop/2008/05/19

Developer Preview Shows Off the GIMP's New Look

,----[ Quote ]
| In the GIMP release cycle odd numbered releases are unstable, so this
| version, 2.5.0, is the first of a series of developer releases, and version
| 2.6.0 will mark the first stable release with the new features. We’ll be sure
| to let you know when that’s available.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/04/developer-previ.html

First Look: The GIMP 2.5.0

| The GIMP team announced today the first release from the 2.5 development
| series. It is true that this version is unstable, but a little bird told me
| to give it a try and see what's it capable of. First of all, let me tell you
| that its interface is quite redesigned and I think that some users will have
| problems adjusting with it, but that's just my two cents. On the other hand,
| version 2.5.0 of The GIMP includes some hot new features, like the
| integration of GEGL (Generic Graphics Library) which will finally get support
| for higher color depths, more colorspaces and eventually non-destructive
| editing.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Look-The-GIMP-2-5-0-83090.shtml

Related: