[News] Linux Foundation on Mobile Devices, Sub-notebooks

Jim Zemlin on Moblin and the well-hedged OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with the Linux Foundation's Jim Zemlin, the group's executive
| director explains why Moblin is "the project you want to watch." Zemlin
| (pictured) also touts Linux for being ideally "well hedged" to survive the
| recession, but points to a future obstacle for the OS.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT6156185477.html

The Inspiration behind Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| The Netbook concept has an interesting provenance. Clearly it was inspired in
| part by the One Laptop Per Child organization and its XO computer for
| children in poor countries. Another stimulus was Transmeta’s bid to come up
| with a brand new processor architecture for small portable computers—which
| scared Intel into coming up with the Atom chip.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2008/12/the_inspiration.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_techbeat
http://tinyurl.com/5jldd8

Recent:

On Linux for Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| What I have learned from this experience is that tough as it may be, Linux
| can really be a substitute for MS Windows if you are willing to spend the
| time learning how it works. Every application I have on my Windows PC has the
| same or equivalent Linux counterpart, including My Dropbox and Skype, etc.
| The only application I could find for Linux is the PCSuite for my Nokia
| phone. Hello Nokia?
`----

http://blog.wificat.com/2008/12/on-linux-for-netbooks.html

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Morvay revealed to Linux Magazine Online that there were no specific figures
| for Linux netbook sales, but that it lay somewhere in the 40th percentile.
| Even though this figure seems a little high, it is known that many of the
| world's netbooks have Linux on board since their first inception 18 months
| ago.
|
| For example, notebooks with Linux make up about 5.5% of the notebook market
| in Germany...
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/linux_carried_along_on_netbooks_wave

Microsoft Missing Out on Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Small laptops are becoming a big problem for Microsoft Corp.'s Windows
| business.
|
| A new breed of lightweight computers called netbooks are beginning to crack
| the company's dominance of operating systems. Acer Inc. and Asustek Computer
| Inc., which together account for 90 percent of the netbook market, are using
| the rival Linux software on about 30 percent of their low-cost notebooks.
|
| The devices, which usually cost less than $500, are the fastest-growing
| segment of the personal-computer industry -- a trend that's eating into
| Microsoft's revenue. Windows sales fell short of forecasts last quarter and
| the company cut growth projections for the year, citing the lower revenue it
| gets from netbooks. When makers of the computers do use Windows, they
| typically opt for older and cheaper versions of the software.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a3VyE_ofSwwE

Microsoft Battles Low-Cost Rival for Africa

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122332198757908625.html