Re: [News] GNU/Linux is Growing at High Rates in China

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Friday 12 December 2008 01:37 : \____

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/07/23/100134488/

>    Today Gates openly concedes that tolerating piracy turned out to be
>    Microsoft's best long-term strategy. That's why Windows is used on an
>    estimated 90% of China's 120 million PCs. "It's easier for our software
>    to compete with Linux when there's piracy than when there's not," Gates
>    says. "Are you kidding? You can get the real thing, and you get the same
>    price."
>
> The real thing?  To continue:
>
>    Indeed, in China's back alleys, Linux often costs more than Windows
>    because it requires more disks. And Microsoft's own prices have dropped
>    so low it now sells a $3 package of Windows and Office to students.
>
> On a more political note:
>
>    Toward the end of Gates' trip, on the sidelines of China's Boao Forum, I
>    sat down again with the Microsoft founder. One of the things I wanted to
>    ask him was how he squares the company's "alignment" in China with its
>    leaders' suppression of free speech on the Internet and what many
>    consider to be their general disregard for human rights. Our
>    conversation, which had been flowing freely, ground to a halt. He said
>    nothing. His silence lasted so long I found myself piping up out of
>    discomfort. "That's a very pregnant pause," I said. "I don't think I want
>    to give an answer to that," he finally replied.
>
> I wonder if he was rocking.

IBM executives might reply similarly to questions about their business with the
Nazis, esp. after WW2.

Ballmer must be crushed. His buddy McCain lost the elections, so he won't be
king of the suppressors in China. Well, he's doing a similar job at Microsoft.
You know, totality, suppression, bullying, censorship and all...

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
Mem:   2075800k total,  1660792k used,   415008k free,    12460k buffers