[News] Windows 'Diversity' Means Forced Upgrades, Linux Diversity Explored

When Being Proprietary Makes You Do Stupid Things

,----[ Quote ]
| This lock-in behavior is the stupidity that comes with proprietary software.
| They need to find a way to keep you paying for the program over and over
| again.  So they make features expire and other dirty tricks.  Like changing
| files to make them incompatible (a la MS Office OOXML).
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2008/12/09/when-being-proprietary-makes-you-do-stupid-things/

Checking out the neighbors, part II

,----[ Quote ]
| More exploration with non-Ubuntu based distributions! This time I’m checking
| out Arch Linux and CentOS!
|
| [...]
|
| So far, only Arch has been usable for me - that’s a bit of a surprise. To be
| honest, I don’t think I could have taken on Arch as my first distro - but I
| don’t think it’s trying to position itself there either.
`----

http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/checking-out-the-neighbors-part-ii/

Recent:

OpenMoko CEO: Embrace fragmentation, diversity is a strength

,----[ Quote ]
| During his presentation, Moss-Pultz looked back at the successes and
| challenges encountered by the OpenMoko community in the past year and talked
| about how the project's adaptability and commitment to freedom have
| contributed to its current status.
|
| Although the OpenMoko concept was initially met with enormous skepticism, it
| has achieved success and is now generating profit. The company's first
| handset, the Neo1973, was manufactured in limited quantity and sold out
| completely within the first three days after it launched. Demand for the
| product was unexpectedly high, and Moss-Pultz humorously remarked that it
| probably would have sold out faster if the servers had been able to better
| withstand the massive traffic.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080918-openmoko-ceo-embrace-fragmentation-diversity-is-a-strength.html

NimbleX 2008 Mini-Review