[News] Rumour: Dead DRM in Apple's Defective-by-Design Shop

iTunes Goes DRM-Free...Today?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will we be seeing DRM-free music on iTunes? That's the latest rumor from
| French site Electronlibre, which says tunes from Sony-BMG, Warner, and
| Universal Music will be sold without copy protection.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155174/.html?tk=rss_main

Recent:

Apple copies Microsoft tactics in Itunes row

,----[ Quote ]
| Sam Odio, operator of bluwiki, did what Jobs' Mob demanded only because he
| said he lacked the money to take on the fruit-themed toymaker.
|
| He told AP that, when a lawyer calls you up and implicitly threatens
| litigation that would bankrupt your little project, you obviously have no
| choice but to comply.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/12/05/apple-copies-microsoft-itunes

DRM is always anti-user

,----[ Quote ]
| No user likes DRM. What Cory Doctorow said about Sony is really true for all
| DRM: “No Sony customer woke up one morning and said, “Damn, I wish Sony would
| devote some expensive engineering effort in order that I may do less with my
| music.”". Expanding the DRM acronym (to mean “digital restrictions
| management” or “digital rights management”) is a matter of what side you’re
| on. If you’re on the user’s side, the side that says you ought to be able to
| treat stuff you bought as your own, you’ll not forget that “digital rights
| management” is “private language” as well. It’s language that exists to
| promulgate the publisher’s perspective instead of the user’s perspective thus
| reframing the debate to getting us to believe that our needs are less
| important or completely ignorable. The thing that makes DRM interesting to
| publishers is how well it can restrict users from doing what users want to
| do. Hence digital restrictions management is a more honest way of looking at
| what DRM means.
`----

http://www.digitalcitizen.info/2008/11/28/drm-is-always-anti-user/

Apple's new MacBooks have built-in copy protection measures

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's new MacBook lines include a form of digital copy protection that will
| prevent protected media, such as DRM-infused iTunes movies, from playing back
| on devices that aren't compliant with the new priority protection measures.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/11/18/apples_new_macbooks_have_built_in_copy_protection_measures.html

MP3 Store Guide: ‘Don’t buy DRM’ (like iTunes)

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday korporate download sites HMV, Woolworths, 7digital, Digitalstores,
| Tescodigital, Tunetribe, and Play.co launched a new ‘100% MP3 compatible’
| logo devised by the Entertainment Retailers Association.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/17493

EFF: Apple DisplayPort DRM Will Lead to More Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| When Apple released its new MacBook and MacBook Pro models, as well as
| updated MacBook Air models, one feature of those latest laptops touted by
| Apple was their Mini DisplayPort video connection. This new connector is part
| of an open standard and is smaller than the DVI, mini-DVI, and micro-DVI
| ports found on the previous generation of Apple laptops. But there's one
| feature of the Mini DisplayPort on Apple laptops that isn't sitting well with
| many users--High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154583/.html?tk=rss_news

EFF Proposes DMCA Exemption for IPhone Jailbreaking

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Librarian of Congress is required to issue exemptions to the
| anti-circumvention clause of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the law
| that makes it a crime to work around encryption or Digital Rights Management
| protecting copyrighted materials. This year, among the exemptions proposed by
| the public is one that would make it legal for consumers to hack their phones
| (PDF link) via a process called jailbreaking, in order to install third-party
| applications available from sources other than Apple's App Store.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154915/.html?tk=rss_news

Apple swings DMCA at Hackintosh maker

,----[ Quote ]
| Just two weeks after US District Judge William Alsup threw out wannabe
| Mac-clone vendor Psystar's countersuit against Apple, the One True Mac-Maker
| has un-holstered another weapon in its campaign to crush the Florida-based
| upstart.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/02/apple_psystar_dmca/

What might end Apple’s open source pass

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has replaced Microsoft as the chief foe of open source. (Picture from a
| student assignment sheet at Bodine High School in Pennsylvania.)
|
| This was in part a matter of necessity. Apple had to put DRM on its iPod or
| it would get nothing to sell. It had to become a big advocate of the DMCA to
| keep its suppliers.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3130

EFF Blasts Apple For Fraudulent DMCA Takedown Of Wiki Page

,----[ Quote ]
| The EFF has stepped up to walk through the many, many reasons why there's no
| DMCA violation on the site, and Apple's takedown notice appears to be
| fraudulent. Yes, the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA do say it's
| illegal to offer a technology, product, service, device or device to get
| around DRM, but an open discussion on a wiki is not any of those things.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081125/2330182955.shtml

The Electronic Frontier Foundation Doesn't Like Apple's Attitude

,----[ Quote ]
| I have to agree. Talk is talk. Encryption and other forms of code obfuscation
| are communally practiced throughout the worlds of proprietary and open source
| software. Also, encryption predates personal computers and Apple by many
| years. Where would security software end up if people were barred, directed
| by lawyers, from ever discussing methods of disguising code?
`----

http://ostatic.com/177097-blog/the-electronic-frontier-foundation-doesnt-like-apples-attitude

Apple Levels DMCA on IPodhash Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The worst thing about DRM? The things it makes people do. Take the iPodhash
| project, a group of coders dedicated to reverse-engineering Apple's database
| files on the iPod classic and iPod touch. Doing so allows for third-party
| utilities to access information on the iPod, which is particularly useful for
| those who want to use their iPods on Linux, since there's no version of
| iTunes available for that platform.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154424/.html?tk=rss_news

EFF Berates Apple Over Open-source ITunes Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's attempt to quash an effort to help the latest iPods and iPhones work
| with non-Apple software such as the Linux operating system is out of line,
| the Electronic Frontier Foundation said Tuesday.
|
| [...]
|
| Because iTunes does not run on Linux, the iPodhash project is important to
| the Linux community, Odio said.
|
| Founded in 2004, Bluwiki is a side project for Odio, an Internet entrepreneur
| who said he supports the iPodhash project even though he's not involved with
| it.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154533/eff_berates_apple.html?tk=rss_news

Anti-DRM campaign calls for MacBook boycott

,----[ Quote ]
| Each day for the next 35 days, the "Defective by Design" campaign by the Free
| Software Foundation (FSF) will name and shame a different product it says
| consumers should boycott because of the use of Digital Rights Management
| (DRM). The FSF has launched its campaign with an attack on Apple. Although
| Apple boss Steve Jobs spoke out against the use of DRM in iTunes Store in
| early 2007, most of the music sold through Apple's online shop still comes
| with Apple's FairPlay DRM. The iPhone and iPod Touch have been criticised by
| the FSF on a number of occasions for adding "even more layers of DRM". With
| its new MacBooks, Apple takes protection even further.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/119625

Related:

A Linux User's Perspective on the ITunes Store (and DRM in General)

,----[ Quote ]
| What if tomorrow you went to Best Buy or Walmart or Sam Goody and purchased a
| CD? What if, before you left the store, the salesman told you that although
| the CD was in all other respects a standard CD, that you could only play it
| if you owned a Pioneer or Sony stereo? Would that make any sense? Would it
| make you a bit hesitant about buying music from that store again?
|
| Well, if you purchase music or videos from the iTunes Store,
|
| [...]
|
| With content from the iTunes Store, however, users may find themselves a bit
| stuck if they ever want to make the switch to a more open computing platform,
| such as Linux. Because none of the DRM-restricted content from the iTunes
| Store will play on Linux. And it's all because that's how Apple wants it, to
| be honest, and not because of any technical limitation.
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/324936/a_linux_users_perspective_on_the_itunes.html

Apple's latest trick to enforce digital rights

`----

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/06/09/10131156.html