[News] Reasons for Australia to Supply Kids with GNU/Linux Laptops

Only Linux can deliver 1 million school laptops within budget: systint

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as the world's economies started to tank, Australia's Governments got
| themselves into an economic bind by promising to supply public school
| children with laptops. However, a leading systems integrator has issued a
| blueprint for an affordable blanket laptop roll out using Linux and netbooks.
|
| [...]
|
| "It's a simple proposition; we've prepared an open solution which delivers
| the best-possible value to education for netbook or laptop roll-outs," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-running Linux firm Cybersource.
|
| "Our proposal is to use low-cost netbooks, allocating one per two students,
| with the students using 'live' Linux USB keys to store their operating
| system, applications and school-work. This results in a major reduction in
| installation and maintenance complexity, but still allows the students
| flexibility in how they use their netbooks and applications."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22209/1054/

Recent:

Will the NSW Govt put Linux in schools?

,----[ Quote ]
| The NSW Government's release this week of an expressions of interest tender
| to give low-cost laptops to every senior public school student in NSW is a
| big step, but will these systems be Windows or Linux?
|
| Rolling out from 2009 onwards, the program will mean a whole generation of
| students will be a great deal more technically literate, which can only be a
| good thing. However, the cost per device (only $500) is going to be a
| challenge for vendors to meet.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/blogs/under-the-microscope/soa/Blog-Will-the-NSW-Govt-put-Linux-in-schools-/0,2001098126,339293651,00.htm?feed=rss

Linux netbooks look likely to save Australian government education election
promise

,----[ Quote ]
| Hardware manufacturers have been asked to provide expressions of interest by
| January 14th.
| The specs look spookily close to the current emerging market of netbooks –
| low priced ultra portable computing devices – and it seems most likely that,
| in a blow to Microsoft, a variant of Linux will be chosen as the operating
| system to power the units given that Linux attracts no licensing fees
| whatsoever and has been proven to work on low powered hardware already.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22063/1143/

Linux threat to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, equipped in 30% to 40% of Eee PCs sold, will probably sustain a market
| share of about 30%, said Samson Hu, a general manager at Asustek. The company
| estimates it will ship at least 5 million Eee PCs in 2008 after selling about
| 4 million since the product's debut.
`----

http://business.theage.com.au/business/linux-threat-to-microsoft-20081106-5j1s.html

Related: