Re: [News] Fallacy of GNU/Linux Being 'Hard'

____/ JEDIDIAH on Wednesday 10 December 2008 02:52 : \____

> On 2008-12-10, Chris Ahlstrom <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
>>   this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> "JEDIDIAH" <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Would you consider installing a video driver that works to be one of these
>>> mundane requirements. I installed Ubuntu (dual boot) last weekend. I have a
>>> fairly new NVidia graphics card and it was S.L.O.W with the default driver.
>>> So I go to NVidia to download the latest Linux driver.
>>>
>>> I'll tell you right now that 99.5% of the 'general public' would have ZERO
>>> chance of getting this to work:
>>
>> And they shouldn't have to.  They should be able to go into the store and
>> have a *choice*.
>
>     ...as I said before. This is an obvious red herring to distract
> from a critical point that they can't clearly address. It's also very
> much bogus.
>
>     Need the bleeding edge Nvidia driver? Why? Exactly what are you
> running? I have a VDPAU enabled nvidia card and it's supported by
> Ubuntu 8.04 with nothing more than a mouse click.
>
>     I have 2 other OEM machines with diferent nvidia cards and
> they were the same way. It's not the "problem" or "bother" it's
> being made out to be.
>
>     Now, perhaps there is some problematic bit of bleeding edge or
> obsoleted gear that might be a problem. It's hard to tell without
> any real details. The problem with such details for a Troll is that
> they constitute easily verifiable facts.
>
>     They might try to pull something out of their posterior and it
> ends up that it's the same card I'm running.
>
>     Now the thing with the average Jane is that she's much more likely
> that not NOT running the bleeding edge kit. Her nvidia Ubuntu experience
> will be pretty much like it would be if she had bought a preloaded Dell.
> I don't think the gamer wannabe crowd here realizes what goes into OEM
> prebuilds these days.

Mandriva comes with the graphics drivers (e.g. NVIDIA) out of the box and the
same goes for Flash and other things. The Munchkins are yanking old FUD.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
 09:20:01 up 55 days, 17:38,  2 users,  load average: 0.91, 0.95, 0.86