[News] IBM Front Defends Linux Against Patents with Patent, Not Reform

FOSS Community Can Combat Bad Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| An anonymous reader lets us know about a new initiative designed to help
| shield the open source software community from threats posed by patent
| trolls. The initiative, called Linux Defenders (the website is slated to go
| live tomorrow, Dec. 9), is sponsored by a consortium of technology companies
| including IBM.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08%2F12%2F09%2F0223205&from=rss

Firms Aim to Ease Patent Risks for Linux Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies are stepping up efforts to head off patent problems that could
| hinder the adoption of new technologies.
|
| The Open Invention Network, a group whose backers include International
| Business Machines Corp. and Red Hat Inc., on Tuesday is expected to expand
| efforts to ease legal risks for users of Linux and other open-source software
| products.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122879211592590583.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Recent:

Linux patent pool to push for 'defensive publication'

,----[ Quote ]
| In coming weeks, OIN will reveal more details of the site, which Bergelt
| described as "a production environment where we educate and train people to
| do this. We'll work with them to make sure it's put in a form that is
| acceptable."
|
| The effort will serve as a counterpart to OIN's existing strategy, under
| which it provides its patents royalty-free to companies in exchange for a
| commitment that they won't assert their patents against the Linux system. Its
| backers include NEC, IBM, Novell, Philips, Red Hat, and Sony. Google, Oracle
| and Alfresco are among the licensees.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/080808-linux-patent-pool-to-push.html

Join LiMo, avoid a patent pantsing from the big lads

,----[ Quote ]
| For all its talk of openness, just a quarter of the code in the LiMo
| Foundation's mobile platform is open source, making it a minefield to
| navigate in terms of protected patents - 300,000 patents to be precise.
|
| [...]
|
| Gillis said LiMo is on track to release the second version of its platform by
| the end of the year, with the software development kits (SDKs) for Native,
| Webkit and Java coming in the fourth quarter. A compliance program is planned
| for SDKs to ensure that applications written using the toolkits can be ported
| across different handsets, although there's no date for this yet.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/08/limo_opensource_patents/

Getting Inventive With Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]