[News] Presidency Pressured to Adopt Open Standards

10 Standards Recommendations for the Obama Administration

,----[ Quote ]
| The following is an integrated suite of recommendations that could be
| implemented quickly and inexpensively, and without Congressional action. Of
| the ten proposals, the first is most urgent, as the advisors assembled in
| this step would provide the experience, guidance and active assistance needed
| to implement the recommendations that follow.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20081207175149736

DCOS Agreement on Procurement in Support of Interoperability and Open Standards
emerges at 3rd IGF, Hyderabad

,----[ Quote ]
| At the close of the final day of the 3rd Internet Governance Forum in
| Hyderabad, India, the Dynamic Coalition on Open Standards (DCOS) released an
| agreement entitled the “Dynamic Coalition on Open Standards (DCOS) Agreement
| on Procurement in Support of Interoperability and Open Standards.”
`----

http://www.keionline.org/blogs/2008/12/06/dcos-agreement-on-procurement-in-support-of-interoperability-and-open-standards-emerges-at-3rd-igf-hyderabad/

Open Standards for the New Networked Vehicle Will Take Time

,----[ Quote ]
| But while the SAE is sort of an open-standards movement for the car industry,
| Lowenthal says the collaboration is rare. "The automobile companies really
| have very few interchangeable parts." Though he sees more of an
| open-standards-based movement on the horizon for the car industry, he says
| it's at least six years away. That proprietary model could be because the
| electric vehicle market is relatively new. Or perhaps there's something about
| the closed system that aligns better with the car industry. As electric
| vehicles actually start hitting the market over the next couple of years,
| we'll see which reason dominates.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2008/tc2008125_782313.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech

Recent:

ISO process slammed

,----[ Quote ]
| Rob Weir, co-chairman of the OASIS Open Document Format (ODF) technical
| committee, says the blatant committee backing around the world to have the
| standard ratified was disconcerting. He says in several countries, countries
| voted yes at the last minute and were “heard of no more. It makes a mockery
| of the system.”
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/software/2008/0806131046.asp?O=FPTOP&S=Legal%20View&A=LEG

Document standards row heats up

,----[ Quote ]
| Standards body the Open Document Format (ODF) Alliance closed ranks with the
| European Commission (EC) against Microsoft today, issuing a statement
| applauding the commission's vociferous endorsement of the ODF standard in an
| effort to avoid vendor lock-in on document formats.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2218954/odf-alliance-applauds-ec-stance

Has OOXML Broken the British Standards Institution?

,----[ Quote ]
| That the BSI, long the quintessence of standards in this country, should see
| itself dragged through the courts over something as apparently minor as a
| document standard, is truly an extraordinary development. But of course it is
| not a minor issue: at stake is the question of how something as central to
| technology and business as standards should be decided. Unless people have
| complete confidence in the process, the end-result will be deemed worthless –
| truly, little more than a “rubber-stamping”.
|
| A good start along the road of bolstering confidence would be making the
| standards-setting process completely open, which currently it is not. The
| practice of voting on an open standard behind closed doors borders is simply
| not justifiable in the age of the Internet and of increasing openness in
| general. And as the UK government loves to remind us: if you have nothing to
| hide, you have nothing to fear....
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=753&blogid=14

Brazil and India lodge appeal against ISO standardisation of OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| The German standards institute, the Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN),
| which despite reported voting irregularities, voted for OOXML, has yet to
| form its opinion on the appeals. A spokesperson told heise online that a
| majority of the steering committee of the IT and Applications Standardisation
| Committee (NIA) has recognised that there has been a serious breach of JTC 1
| and ISO rules. He stated that this is also the position of the DIN as a
| whole. At the same time, however, the conclusion has been reached that the
| rules for the fast-track procedure need to be amended, as documents of the
| scope of ISO/IEC 29500 can hardly be dealt with within the current framework.
| According to the spokesperson, the DIN has initiated corresponding
| discussions in Geneva.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/Brazil-and-India-lodge-appeal-against-ISO-standardisation-of-OOXML--/110845

Denmark Backs Up the OOXML Outrage

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, South Africa and Brazil have lodged formal appeals with the ISO,
| while several other countries are battling it out against their national
| standards bodies via their national governments. Jacob Holmblad — the Dansk
| Standard Director/ISO Vice President — told Computerworld that he will be in
| Geneva next week, and expects to see the issue addressed while he is there.
| Something tells us, however, that it will be a long, long time before we
| finally see the OOXML debacle truly addressed.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/denmark-backs-ooxml-outrage

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2007/12/dysfunctional-iso-courtesy-of-microsoft.html

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777