[News] Sun's UNIX Tries Openness, Apple's Closeness Under Fire Again

What's Open About OpenSolaris?

,----[ Quote ]
| DDJ: What's "open" about OpenSolaris?
|
| TC: The "open" in OpenSolaris combines applications developed by open-source
| communities such as GNOME, Mozilla, and the Free Software Foundation with the
| foundation of Solaris technologies, tools, and modern desktop features.
| OpenSolaris provides an ideal environment for students, developers, and early
| adopters looking to learn and gain experience with innovative technologies
| built-in for free to develop, debug, and deploy new applications faster,
| including ZFS and DTrace. In addition, the OpenSolaris community represents a
| wide variety of developers, administrators, instructors, and students around
| the world contributing to this open-source project.
`----

http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/212201957

Argentina-based OpeniMac Now Selling Mac Clones

,----[ Quote ]
| Case in point: meet Argentina-based OpeniMac who, besides clearly angling for
| a trademark lawsuit, is also going ahead and selling Mac OS X-based computers
| at prices that undercut Apple's own offerings.
|
| Well, in Argentina, anyway, as the country doesn't have its own Apple Store,
| online or brick-and-mortar. But if you live in the U.S., the prices aren't
| really cheaper than buying a comparable Mac.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155127/openimac_mac_clones.html?tk=rss_news

Recent:

Psystar Holds Cyber Monday Sale On Mac Clones

,----[ Quote ]
| Psystar's OpenLite system ships with the Ubuntu Linux desktop pre-installed,
| running on a 1.8-GHz Intel Celeron chip with integrated graphics support.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/retail/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212201069&subSection=E-Business
http://tinyurl.com/6bq3px

Apple, Psystar Seek Trial On Nov. 9, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The system integrator recently introduced a Linux-based personal computer
| that sells for just $299.
|
| Psystar's OpenLite system ships with the Ubuntu Linux desktop preinstalled,
| running on a 1.8-GHz Intel Celeron chip with integrated graphics support.
| Upgrading to a dual-core Pentium chip costs an additional $40. "With
| unparalleled affordability, this computer can bring Windows computing into
| every home and office," Psystar boasts on its Web site, even though the
| system runs Linux, not Microsoft Windows.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/management/legal/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212000078
http://tinyurl.com/6l2opl

Mac Clone Maker Psystar Offers $299 Linux PC

,----[ Quote ]
| Psystar's OpenLite system ships with the Ubuntu Linux desktop preinstalled,
| running on a 1.8-GHz Intel Celeron chip with integrated graphics support.
| Upgrading to a dual-core Pentium chip costs an additional $40. "With
| unparalleled affordability, this computer can bring Windows computing into
| every home and office," Psystar boasts on its Web site, even though the
| system runs Linux, not Microsoft Windows.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211600245

Related:

Cheap Laptops Bad for Vista, Good for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The good news for everyone is that you can get a good, solid laptop for under
| a grand these days. The bad news for Vista users is that many of those
| laptops, even though they're sold with Vista, have nothing like enough
| resources to run Vista decently.
|
| [...]
|
| Total additional cost? About a buck for the burnable DVD for the Linux
| distribution. It's not a matter of "if," it's a matter of when we're going to
| see more Linux-powered laptops.
|
| Do the math. Vista doesn't work for today's laptop market. XP and Linux do.
| It's really that simple.

Everex follows Asus Eee to announce 9in sub-notebook

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/17/everex_announces_9in_cloudbook/