[News] Free Software Outpaces iTunes in Areas

10 Things Songbird Does That iTunes Can’t

,----[ Quote ]
| Songbird turned 1.0 this week, and aims to do to iTunes what Firefox did to
| Internet Explorer. That is, it aims to take the basic design of something
| closed and proprietary, and turn it into something open and extensible and
| fun. Songbird aims to give the power back to the people.
`----

http://blog.audiojungle.net/resources/10-things-songbird-does-that-itunes-cant/

Review: Songbird 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I liked Songbird 1.0.  I'm no audiophile by any stretch of the word,
| and while Songbird is too much media player for my tastes (I prefer small,
| light and simple), I can't complain about the quality of the player.  It
| really stands out, and that says a lot since I came into this review with a
| general apathy towards the player after the somewhat poor showing it had
| during its beta period.  But I now have to say that Songbird would easily be
| a player I'd recommend to anyone looking to replace iTunes or even just
| looking for a good all in one media player for their general use.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=499

Recent:

Music and browsing take flight in Songbird

,----[ Quote ]
| Music and browsing mashup Songbird has kicked the remnants of its shell to
| the curb.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10111947-2.html

Songbird’s Open-Source Music Player Finally Takes Flight

,----[ Quote ]
| Way back in February of 2006, I wrote about an early version of Songbird, a
| music-playing app that aspired to be an open-source rival to iTunes. I was
| guardedly positive. It took way longer than I would have guessed, but the
| Songbird folks finally unveiled an official version 1.0 of the application
| today. This final release bears surprisingly little resemblance to that first
| version. And while I’m still digging into it, I’m impressed.
`----

http://technologizer.com/2008/12/02/songbirds-open-source-music-player-finally-takes-flight/

Open Source iTunes Competitor Songbird Officially Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Songbird is like an open source version of iTunes that handles just about
| everything that program does, while swapping out the iTunes store interface
| in favor of the world's music blogs.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/12/songbird-the-op.html

10 of the Best Songbird Add-ons

,----[ Quote ]
| The first stable version of Songbird has been unleashed. Considered by many
| as the Firefox of media players due to its extensibility, this open source
| iTunes replacement has a bright future ahead.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/12/10-of-best-songbird-add-ons.html

A media player for the times: Songbird

,----[ Quote ]
| After about two years in the works, Pioneers of the Inevitable have released
| Songbird, a Mozilla-based music player, with which, POTI aims to do for music
| what Mozilla did with Firefox: provide an open source customizable
| multiplatform music player.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/12/a-media-player-for-the-times-songbird/

Songbird gets ready to fly with 1.0 release candidate

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/11/06/songbird-1-0-release-candidate-now-available