Re: Linux, Macs hijacked by infected Windows PC

____/ 7 on Monday 08 December 2008 22:41 : \____

> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> <Quote>
>> Researchers have identified a new trojan that can tamper with a wide
>> array of devices on a local network, an exploit that sends them to
>> impostor websites even if they are hardened machines that are fully
>> patched or run non-Windows operating systems....
>>
>> The scenario plays out something like this:
>>
>>     * Jill connects a PC infected by the new DNSChanger variant to a
>> coffee shop's WiFi hotspot or her employer's local network.
>>
>>     * Steve connects to the same network using a fully-patched Linux
>> box, which requests an IP address.
>>
>>     * Jill's PC injects a DHCP offer command to instruct Steve's
>> computer to rout all DNS requests through a booby-trapped DNS server.
>>
>>     * Steve's Linux box can no longer be trusted to visit
>> authoritative websites. Although the address bar on his browser may
>> show he is accessing bankofamerica.com, he may in fact be at an
>> impostor website.
>> </Quote>
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/05/new_dnschanger_hijacks/
>

> Typical variants of man in the middle attack.
>
> Micoshaft The Great Quarantined OS.
>
> Don't trust any windummy osen crap with networking and infrastructure
> related products. Quarantine and route all their traffic through separate
> quarantined networks.

A DDOS attack is almost equally harmful. Attacks are surging all the time and
the only thing keeping sites 'under control' is overworked admins and fears of
punishment (law enforcement is expensive).

        "Our products just aren't engineered for security."

                -- Brian Valentine, Microsoft executive

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

In an Open world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates? -- ??
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie