[News] Free Software Rules Enforced By Gentlemen

The Spanish Revolution, Free Software, and GPL Enforcement

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation provides a good example of taking a very
| different approach. When enforcing the GPL, they have deliberately avoided
| confrontation as much as possible. Though they were entitled to damages and
| such, they have always pursued compliance over damages and even publicity.
| This in turn made it much easier for the companies who were initially
| violators to come to adopt the ideas of free software.
`----

http://at.or.at/hans/blog/2008/11/29/the-spanish-revolution-free-software-and-gpl-enforcement/

Recent:

Presidential Election Voting Machines Violate Copyrights, Suit Claims

,----[ Quote ]
| Artifex Software, of San Rafael, Calif., claims that PES systems infringe on
| its copyrighted Ghostscript PFD interpretation and printing software. Artifex
| claims PES is using Ghostscript in its electronic election systems even
| though Diebold and PES "have not been granted a license to modify, copy, or
| distribute any of Artifex's copyrighted works," Artifex claims in court
| papers filed late last month in U.S. District Court for Northern California.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/management/legal/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212000374

rdesktop and MochaSoft

,----[ Quote ]
| This mail is sent to both legal at lists.gpl-violations.org and the
|
| I have found out that the MochaSoft RDP client for the iPhone and iPod
| Touch, which is distributed commercially trough the apple App Store, is
| based on the GPL licensed rdesktop.
`----

http://lists.gpl-violations.org/pipermail/legal/2008-September/001402.html

Reading SFLC's GPL Compliance Guide

| IANAL, but the GPL Compliance Guide I cited from is prepared for the Software
| Freedom Law Center by Bradley M. Kuhn, Aaron Williamson, and Karen M.
| Sandler, the last two of them being lawyers. I suppose they know what they
| mean.
|
| Unless I am unable to understand the intricacies of the American legal
| system, SFLC's GPL Compliance Guide just proves Novell guilty for not making
| available ALL the sources to ANYONE who might own the corresponding binaries.
|
| You can't build a "community enterprise Linux" out of SLED/SLED the same way
| you can build it out of RHEL's sources, because you can't have security
| updates. This being said, SLED/SLED is open-source... only on paper. As an
| acknowledgment of this hypocritical behavior of Novell, Microsoft has now
| agreed to buy $100m more worth of SLES coupons. Do you still wonder why?
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/08/21/09/18/18-reading-sflc-s-gpl-compliance-gu

VMware and the GPL: Round two

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a corner case that involves a type of linkage and relationship that
| the GPL doesn't explicitly cover. It's also a type of linkage and
| relationship between software components that Linux Torvalds, the Software
| Freedom Law Center, the Free Software Foundation, etc. are well aware of and
| have explicitly or implicitly decided that it's something they'll tolerate
| even if they don't enthusiastically endorse it.
|
| But is it legal? Well, yes, until some court decided it isn't. Which is a
| battle that none of the most relevant players have any interest in fighting.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13556_3-10011395-61.html?tag=blogFeed

Related:

The VMware house of cards

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking at an ESX server, you’ll find what looks like a Linux OS. This isn’t
| a secret -- VMware call this the ‘console OS’.
`----

http://www.venturecake.com/the-vmware-house-of-cards/

VMware and the GPL

,----[ Quote ]