[News] Guide to Small Businesses Recommends Free Software; New FOSS Directory

Updated guide on Open Source for SMEs

,----[ Quote ]
| The third edition of a guide to help small and medium sized enterprises
| (SMEs) to adopt Open Source software has been published. Different types of
| software applications and businesses models are addressed, making this guide
| useful for most SMEs that wish to simply use FOSS or even build a FOSS-based
| business approach.
`----

http://www.zeapartners.org/articles/guide-for-smes002

EOSDirectory.com - Enterprise Open Source Directory

,----[ Quote ]
| This online database has the aim of providing an overview of the many open
| source platforms, frameworks and solutions in existence, presented in a
| language that is clear and easy-to-understand.
|
| The database itself is subdivided in four different categories that cover the
| whole specter. These are “Operations”, “Application
| Development”, “Infrastructure Solutions” and “Applications”.
`----

http://www.killerstartups.com/Web20/eosdirectory-com-enterprise-open-source-directory

"There is such an overvaluation of technology stocks that it is absurd. I would
include our stock in that category. It is bad for the long-term worth of the
economy."
                                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO

Recent:

Editor's Note: Does Linux Deliver For Small Businesses?

,----[ Quote ]
| The answer is Yes, it does, though with some qualifications. The short
| answer: it's all in the implementation.
|
| [...]
|
| So the medium answer is Yes, Linux combined with friendly, skilled support
| definitely delivers for small business, and it does so better than any other
| platform. Even if there are some super-duper specialized Windows- or Mac-only
| applications that are must-haves for a particular business, the sane
| infrastructure is still Linux everywhere, Windows/Mac only as needed.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2008103103235OPBZCY

Is Linux Truly Small Business Ready?

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on everything presented above, is it fair to say that a small business
| can operate exclusively on a Linux workstation/server setup? The short answer
| is yes. The longer, more in-depth answer is yes with the help of
| professionals to assist the small business owner with setup.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3781076_1

Gameloft Moves 1,000 Desktops to Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| “It’s been a pretty big deployment, well over 1000 desktops and it’s been a
| huge success,” crows the source. “Ubuntu does the same job [as Windows] for
| zero cash. The most painful thing about the change over was moving to
| Thunderbird from Outlook. No one has batted an eyelid about moving to Gnome.”
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/03/gameloft-moves-1000-desktops-to-ubuntu-linux/

Is Linux ready for your Small Business?

,----[ Quote ]
| Start Switching Applications Now. When you decide to start down this road,
| one of the best things you can do is to start switching applications now.
| Start installing Firefox on your Windows machines and encourage users to use
| it instead of IE (I would even suggest changing the default browser).  Most
| linux IM clients also have a working Windows version.  Install OpenOffice and
| remove Microsoft Office.  That last one will probably cause the most
| complaints.
`----

http://itatsmallbiz.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/is-linux-ready-for-your-small-business/
http://tinyurl.com/5gwpem

Move Your Business from Windows to Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/147879/move_your_business_from_windows_to_linux.html