[News] Windows Vulnerabilities Not Related to Market Share

Apple Didn't Issue a New Anti-Virus Advisory

,----[ Quote ]
| Will bloggers and journalists please stop writing that Apple has suddenly
| advised its users to use anti-virus software? That's simply not true.
|
| [...]
|
| There haven't been any major new malware attacks to suggest increasing Mac
| marketshare has generated more malware. Just two weeks ago, I blogged that in
| fact Apple's increasing marketshare hadn't led to more attacks—that
| Microsoft's marketshare mythology is wrong.
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/security/apple_didnt_issue_a_new_antivirus_advisory.html

Recent:

 VoIP vulnerabilities in Microsoft Communicator

,----[ Quote ]
| Researchers at VoIPshield Labs have pinpointed a wide range of
| denial-of-service vulnerabilities in Microsoft Communicator, the unified
| communications that features business-grade instant messaging , voice, and
| video tools.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2180

Windows Vista accepts incorrect passwords

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows will (at least on my system) accept it, even though the password is
| incorrect. i’ve verified this on my setup at least five times. This “feature”
| is probably “a convenience to the user”, but it seems odd that they would add
| such a convenience, and then continually bombard the user with
| inconvenient “are you sure YOU clicked that .exe file?” dialogs.
`----

http://blog.s11n.net/?p=55

With Vista breached, Linux unbeaten in hacking contest

,----[ Quote ]
| The MacBook Air went first; a tiny Fujitsu laptop running Vista was hacked on
| the last day of the contest; but it was Linux, running on a Sony Vaio, that
| remained undefeated as conference organizers ended a three-way computer
| hacking challenge Friday at the CanSecWest conference.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/032908-with-vista-breached-linux-unbeaten.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Vista Called as Vulnerable as Predecessors

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks as if Vista's reputation for improved security could be heading for
| the pages of history. PC Tools has renewed last week's attack on the platform
| with new figures that appear to back up its claim that Vista is almost as
| vulnerable as its predecessors.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146281/vista_called_as_vulnerable_as_predecessors.html

Vista security credentials tarnished in malware survey

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Vista]has been hailed by Microsoft as the most secure version of Windows to
| date. However, recent research conducted with statistics from over 1.4
| million computers within the ThreatFire community has shown that Windows
| Vista is more susceptible to malware than the eight year old Windows 2000
| operating system, and only 37 per cent more secure than Windows XP," said
| Simon Clausen, chief exec at PC Tools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/win_malware_survey/

Vista as Insecure as Windows 2000

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145681/vista_as_insecure_as_windows_2000.html

Microsoft Blames Users for Vista Infections

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft wasn't going to let that comment go down undisputed and now claims
| that users are responsible for executing malicious code on their machines —
| at least according to TechNet blogger and Microsoft evangelist Michael Kleef,
| who insists that the number of infections found by PC Tools is an indication
| of poor user behavior. Read all about it at ZDNet.co.uk.
`----

http://www.itsecurity.com/features/in-the-news-061108/

Nevis Labs Identifies Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Live OneCare

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080514006196&newsLang=en