[News] Debian Legal Gives Blessing to AGPLv3, SFLC Responds

Re: about software patents

AGPL Declared DFSG-Free

,----[ Quote ]
| Late last week, the FTP Masters of Debian — who, absent a vote of the Debian
| developers, make all licensing decisions — posted their ruling that AGPLv3 is
| DFSG-Free. I was glad to see this issue was finally resolved after months of
| confusion; the AGPLv3  is now approved by all known FLOSS licensing ruling
| bodies (FSF, OSI, and Debian).
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2008/dec/01/agpl-dfsg-free/

An ongoing discussion in Debian-legal.

Recent:

AGPL and Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion we will continue to access AGPL works into main subject to
| the rest of the checks that we also normally perform.

GPLv3/AGPLv3 Adoption: If It Happened Too Fast, I'd Be Worried

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the release of GPLv3, technology pundits have been opining about how
| adoption is unlikely, usually citing Linux's still-GPLv2 status as (often
| their only) example. Even though I'm a pro-GPLv3 (and, specifically,
| pro-AGPLv3) advocate, I have never been troubled by slow adoption, as long as
| it remained on a linear upswing from release day onward (which it has).
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2008/nov/13/gplv3-agplv3-adoption/

AGPLMail - A new horizon?

,----[ Quote ]
| The new challenge for freesoftware enthusiasts is the menace called 'Cloud
| Computing' which is basically Software as a Service(SaaS) shrouded in a
| catchy name. The new licence AGPLv3 is framed precisely  to counter this
| unhealthy trend.
`----

http://suruma.freeflux.net/blog/archive/2008/11/27/agplmail-a-new-horizon.html

AGPLv3 Keeps Open Source Vibrant in Age of SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/?q=content/agplv3-keeps-open-source-vibrant-age-saas