[News] NASA and the NHL Use Free Software

Bugzilla 3.2 has shiny NASA interface enhancements

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has announced the official release of Bugzilla 3.2, a significant new
| version that adds a large number of major improvements.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/12/01/bugzilla-3-2-has-shiny-nasa-interface-enhancements

NHL using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Canada's National Hockey League (NHL) is probably the highest level of
| professional ice hockey in world. With league revenue totaling 2.5 billion US
| dollars last year, the NHL is also big business.
`----

http://buytaert.net/nhl-using-drupal

Recent:

NASA turns to open-source problem-tracking databases

,----[ Quote ]
| The software, called the Problem Reporting Analysis and Corrective Action
| (PRACA) system, was created by the Human-Computer Interaction Group at NASA's
| Ames Research Center, and is designed to give a wide cross-section of people
| in the Space Shuttle ecosystem access to a single database package for
| tracking problems with the Shuttle and its associated infrastructure.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10097880-52.html

Bugzilla used to build shuttle bug-tracking package

,----[ Quote ]
| The primary Open Source package used was Bugzilla, from the Mozilla
| Foundation. According to Vera, not only is the new system much less expensive
| and more streamlined than the software it replaces, it is also much easier to
| maintain. Rather than having to submit desired changes to the developers of
| proprietary problem tracking systems and wait for the revisions to be
| returned, NASA developers can make changes to PRACA on their own, often on
| the fly.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/2008/11/15/bugzilla-used-to-build-shuttle-bug-tracking-package/

NASA ramps up weather research with [Linux-based] supercomputer cluster

,----[ Quote ]
| NASA's Center for Computational Sciences is nearly tripling the performance
| of a supercomputer it uses to simulate Earth's climate and weather, and our
| planet's relationship with the Sun.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1045305927&rid=-50

Computer viruses in space!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe they should run Mac or Linux.  Then they would have nothing to worry
| about at all, right?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/computer_viruses_in_space

Malware infects space station laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Malware has managed to get off the planet and onto the International Space
| Station (ISS), NASA confirmed today. And it's not the first time that a worm
| or virus has stowed away on a trip into orbit.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9113654&intsrc=news_ts_head

NASA launches online historical image gallery

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet Archive, founded in 1996 to create an Internet-based library, will
| manage and host NASA's new interactive image gallery on the cluster of 2,000
| Linux servers at its San Francisco headquarters, said John Hornstein,
| director of the NASA images project for the group. The non-profit currently
| runs 2 petabytes of storage, Hornstein said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=281068211&rid=-50

Goddard's open source site

,----[ Quote ]
| NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., has established a Web
| site for open-source projects that were developed by center personnel for
| mission needs. By releasing such code into open source, NASA hopes to speed
| development of the software, as well as raise awareness of NASA research.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/46759-1.html

NASA Uses Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| He and I walked back over behind the guy to look. I pointed out the little
| bit of the heron you could see at the bottom of the screen, and he said "yep,
| it's Hardy." Then he added, "look what else he's running." "What?" "Compiz.
| You can see the shadows on the panels."
`----

http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2008/07/nasa-uses-ubuntu.html

Fedora on the Final Frontier

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a long standing rumor regarding NASA running Fedora which all
| of us in the Fedora community have been always intrigued by. Is it true? What
| are they doing with it there? Why don't they run RHEL. Fortunately enough, a
| couple of weeks ago, I got to experience NASA behind the scenes, first hand,
| and hang out with the coolest members of the Fedora community, and find out
| the answer to these questions and lots more.
`----

http://jaboutboul.blogspot.com/2008/02/fedora-on-final-frontier.html

NASA tests Linux for spacecraft control

,----[ Quote ]
| On the software side, embedded Linux vendor Wind River says it was selected
| to "support the development of NASA's New Millennium Program Space Technology
| 8 (ST8) Dependable Multiprocessor." As part of its role in supporting the
| project, the company will supply its Platform for Network Equipment, Linux
| Edition (PNE-LE) for use on the DM system.

At NASA, Windows Vista Isn't Ready For Launch

,----[ Quote ]
| Space agency among the growing list of federal agencies that
| have put a temporary hold on Windows Vista rollouts.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201229

NASA tests Linux-based planetary surface exploration robots

,----[ Quote ]