[News] How Ubuntu Helps GNU/Linux as a Whole, Ubuntu Derivative Bypasses Windows

  • Subject: [News] How Ubuntu Helps GNU/Linux as a Whole, Ubuntu Derivative Bypasses Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:09:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Three Reasons Why All Linux Users Should Support Ubuntu, Even If They Don’t Use
It

,----[ Quote ]
| 1:   Ubuntu’s stated goal has always been to make a linux for ordinary
| people, and it has usually succeeded in making their distro easy for novices
| to pick up.    For that reason, Ubuntu is already a good distro for new
| users.
|
| 2:   While a generic Wubi is being created to work with any linux
| distribution, Ubuntu is, now, still the only distro which features the
| ability to install itself easily onto a windows system and, just as easily,
| remove itself.   This reduces the upfront cost of time and knowledge
| necessary to install linux on your computer, so new users will be more likely
| to try using linux and will encounter fewer road blocks to that goal.
|
| 3:   While choice is wonderful, having one distro which every linux user can
| point to as the distro for people new to linux makes it easier for advocates.
`----

http://minutiaeetal.wordpress.com/2008/12/02/three-reasons-why-all-linux-users-should-support-ubuntu-even-if-they-dont-use-it/

Who Else Wants a Cloudbook?

,----[ Quote ]
| I've looked at GoodOS (gOS) before in two other posts: The Netbook Market
| Booms with Linux Onboard and Three Linux Distros to Watch and Use but now
| they've taken the lightweight operating system (OS) one step further with
| Taiwan-based manufacturer GigaByte.

Battle of the featherweight notebooks: Everex CloudBook vs. Asus Eee

,----[ Overview ]
| The popular Eee now has a new challenger with the same price, same size and a
| different Linux distribution
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9067619

Everex ships Cloudbook after slight delay

,----[ Quote ]
| ZaReason, which distributes Everex products, said on its Web site Friday that
| the Cloudbook had sold out. Everex had shipped a few hundred Cloudbooks to
| ZaReason, Kim said. As of Friday, the PC was not yet available on TigerDirect
| or Newegg.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/15/Everex-ships-Cloudbook-after-slight-delay_1.htmlhttp://tinyurl.com/2qqhaa
http://tinyurl.com/2qqhaa

Future CloudBooks to Have Touch, SSD, 22-inch Screens?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/future-cloudbooks-to-have-touch-ssd-22-inch-screens