Re: LEAKED: Dell/H-P/Lenovo/Vendor Recommends Windows is Fake!

Verily I say unto thee, that Johan Lindquist spake thusly:

> I guess I'm just not seeing how it's illegal, that's all.

Misleading advertising is a crime under:

. The Control of Misleading Advertisements Regulations 1988 (UK)
. The European Council Directive 84/450/EEC
. Section 5 of the FTC Act (US)

Claiming that a vendor "recommends" a product, when in fact they'vr been
bribed to fake that recommendation, is misleading advertising.

How many people do you suppose are motivated to buy a Vista PC instead
of an XP one, or Windows (in general) instead of Linux or Mac, because a
vendor (who also sells Linux and/or Mac products) claims to "recommend"
whatever the Vole bribes them to?

Those people have been misled.

An /honest/ slogan would read "Microsoft pays us to claim that we
recommend [x]", but then that wouldn't have quite the deceptive effect
the Vole hopes for, would it?

But a more important point is that this is the first time this underhand
practice has been exposed as deception with hard evidence. Up to now
it's just been speculation ... now there's poof.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 02:41:36 up 27 days, 10:24,  4 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.09