[News] 'Out of the Box' Wireless Support in Linux Keeps Improving

No Longer Wireless-less

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most important hold-outs was the wifi chipset vendor Atheros. This
| was actually quite serious, because good wireless support is one of the first
| things that general users look for. Indeed, wifi functionality has long been
| a key test for portables running GNU/Linux – one that many big names have
| failed.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1584&blogid=14

MadWifi HAL now open source

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/MadWifi-HAL-now-open-source--/112113

Recent:

The next big things in wireless

,----[ Quote ]
| But as Google and its partners talk up Android, there's another open mobile
| platform that will be making a splash at the show. Earlier this week, the
| Limo Foundation, a global consortium of mobile carriers, chipmakers, and
| handset manufacturers developing cell phone technology based on Linux, said
| it will make its application programming interface available in March. Next
| week, the group is expected to announce some new members to the consortium,
| as it becomes the dominant open-source Linux platform for mobile phones.
| Several industry consortia are dedicated to putting open-source software onto
| handsets. But it looks like groups are starting to rally behind Limo as it
| pushes forward.
`----

http://www.news.com/The-next-big-things-in-wireless/2100-1039_3-6229811.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/ypau27

The power of open spectrum

,----[ Quote ]
| When the history of this era is written, it will be seen that one of the
| biggest bi-partisan mistakes was to treat spectrum as property rather than a
| commons.
|
| Billions have been earned off the spectrum, first by the government, then by
| those who won the auctions. But the spectrum has been under-utilized and it
| has been over-priced.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1989

Related:

Open Movement in the 3G/4G World

,----[ Quote ]
| “We’re using Debian Linux, which is pretty much the platform of the whole
| device,” says Ari Virtanen, head of the Converged Product Unit. “Basically,
| our Linux approach is to really participate in open-source projects and
| programs and to use them in building our products.”
`----

http://vonmag.com/news/featured-articles/open-movement-in-the-3g/4g-world

Nine wireless network companies to watch

,----[ Quote ]
| Why it's worth watching: The old David-and-Goliath thing: Founder Pauline Lo
| Alker is taking on Microsoft. ABI Research projects Linux will be the fastest
| growing smart phone operating system for the next five years, with an annual
| growth rate over 75 percent.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;719034987;fp;2;fpid;2

Wireless Software for Linux Cleared of Legal Uncertainty by SFLC

,----[ Quote ]
| After performing the audit, SFLC concluded that OpenHAL does not infringe
| copyrights held by Atheros. As a result, OpenHAL development can now continue
| safely, unencumbered by legal uncertainty so long as the OpenHAL developers
| continue their work in isolation from Atheros' proprietary code.
|
| [...]
|
| "We believe that this outcome will clear the way for eventual acceptance of a
| new wireless driver into the Linux kernel," said John Linville, the Linux
| kernel maintainer for wireless networking.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2007/jul/31/openhal/

Our commitment to open broadband platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| CEO Eric Schmidt today sent a letter to FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, saying
| that, should the FCC adopt all four license conditions requested above,
| Google intends to commit at least $4.6 billion to bidding for spectrum in the
| upcoming 700 Mhz auction.
`----

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/our-commitment-to-open-broadband.html

MIMO-enabled enterprise access point runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Bluesocket used Linux in what it claims to be the first
| enterprise-class wireless access point based on MIMO
| (multiple-input, multiple output) technology.

Second-generation wireless sensor platform runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Crossbow Technology will demonstrate its tiny XScale-based
| platform for wireless sensing, at the Sensors Expo
| tradeshow next week.

New Wireless Architecture to Drive the Next Generation of Enterprise Mobility

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/templates/article-mobile.aspx?articleid=3141&zoneid=38