[News] Reasons to Use Free Software and Ways to Make a Living from It

Why Use Open-source Software?

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software is sought by Internet users everywhere because it is accessible
| right away and doesn't cost a dime. But did you know there's something
| better? Try open-source software.
|
| Open-source software goes beyong being free. If from a freeware application
| you can expect no costs, from an open-source one you can expect the same,
| plus the ability to tweak it in ways you never thought developers would allow
| you to.
| And not only that.
|
| [...]
|
| So this is why I find the open-source model superior to the closed-source
| one, bot from the end user and programmer's point of view. It works, it is
| safe and in many ways faster. You don't have to pay for it and this can be a
| incredible plus when you embark in a business that uses computers. Cutting
| costs should be a priority when trying to make money with software, and
| open-source might just be the best answer.
`----

http://www.computersight.com/Software/Why-Use-Open-source-Software.373711

How can open source programmers make money?

,----[ Quote ]
| By writing an open source program that runs a particular piece of hardware
| you can make money off of the sales of that hardware and get bug fixes and
| improvements from the open source community who use that hardware. This is
| leveraging off of the open source community and you are making money from
| your program. Graphic card and printer manufacturers are starting to do this.
`----

http://www.locutus.us/make_money_from_open_source

Related:

Hire me to work on Amarok!

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/473-Hire-me-to-work-on-Amarok!.html

KOfficeSource: a KOffice Consultancy Company

,----[ Quote ]
| Announcing itself today is KOfficeSource GmbH, a company that will sell
| services around KOffice. The founders comprise a small group of members of
| the developer community, as well as outside talent. They share an interest in
| furthering KOffice by supporting it commercially in addition to the
| non-commercial support that can be found on the mailing lists and IRC. As the
| name suggests it has been created in Germany but will operate across Europe
| and further afield.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1199838571/

Sun will offer back-line support for OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems on Monday plans to announce that it will provide support for
| the OpenOffice.org productivity software suite, citing a wave of momentum
| behind the open-source project.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/121407-sun-will-offer-back-line-support.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Top Five Open Source Business Models You Never Heard Of

,----[ Quote ]
| The art of “selling” or generating revenue from open source is a topic of
| growing importance as open source takes a larger piece of the software
| business. In the past, open source revenue has largely been associated with
| services marketed by many top tier Linux companies: Support, middleware
| solutions, etc.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3686616

How to make money by giving stuff away