Re: [News] Red Hat CEO Foresees Expansion

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:51:05 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 11:22:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>| A: We believe that open source will continue to take share away from |
>>proprietary alternatives, because it is a fundamentally superior
>>development | model. Open source develops better software faster and at
>>a lower cost. Over | time, this will pervade most areas of software.
>
> Believe it or not, I mostly agree with this to a point.  However, it's
> only generally true of a small percentage of open source software.  For
> example, the Linux kernel itself, Apache, Postgre, etc.. mostly kernel
> and server applications.
>
> However, you're pretty much stuck with what Open Source developers think
> you should want, rather than what you actually want.

Oh ye Wintroll of little clue. Anyone can write whatever they want with
FLOSS, even you if you knew how.

As usual the reverse of what you FUD here, is the reality.

> A good example is Exchange.  Exchange, for all it's problems, continues
> to be one of the top corporate messaging systems.  Open Source has yet
> to come up with a valid response that hasn't been immediately made
> commercial (OpenExchange, for instance).

Exchange sure has been a success. No other emailer has helped to spread
viruses so successfully.

> Most Open Source developers say "You don't want what exchange does",
> instead they suggest a hodge podge of different email, calendaring, and
> groupware products, none of which work together or have a single
> cohesive client.

Email is not designed for HTML, how sad you and Microsoft still don't
know that.

> Further, other kinds of applications take FAR longer to create under the
> open source model than proprietary.  The GIMP, for instance is at least
> 10 years in the making and still nowhere near catching up to Photoshop
> of 10 years ago.

Facts:
* FLOSS releases often and early
* FLOSS is Free
* FlOSS will always be available, even after Adobe close their doors.
* 60% of Photoshop users pirate it.

> Open Source's biggest problem is that once software reaches a certain
> level of "good enough for me" (says the developer), it doesn't progress
> very fast.

We call that stage 'bug free', Wintroll.

>  The exception, of course, is software that is commercial
> funded, like Apache, or the Linux kernel.

You speak like you know, but you don't know much of anything about Linux
Erik, you're just another Microsoft Wintroll here.

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008