Re: [News] How to Lobby for GNU/Linux and Free Software in Schools

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Just what does it take to switch to desktop Linux (part 1)?

,----[ Quote ]
| I’d like to turn this into a series of posts, ultimately asking what it takes | to switch to desktop Linux in education. Starting small, though, I’d like to | answer ksheppard’s question. What is required to switch my superintendent to | Linux on his desktop? `----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1976

Switching the superintendent is not starting small.

"Starting small, though, I’d like to answer ksheppard’s question. What is required to switch my superintendent to Linux on his desktop?"

Switching the superintendent is much harder than switching the students and has the least benefit. School administrators have legacy documents and are few, so little money is saved. Switch the students first since they have no legacy documents. There are many students so the savings are great and you are planting more seeds in the best soil, so to speak.