[News] Wintel Press Covers Free Software

Cost-Conscious Companies Turn to Open-Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| As the recession puts pressure on tech spending, many companies are turning
| to open-source software to handle more IT tasks
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2008/tc20081130_069698.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis

Open-Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2008/tc20081130_069698.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis

The Wintel press seems to have realised that readers are not interested in
Wintel. The /sponsors/ of Wintel press are interested in Wintel.

Recent:

Good-Bye PC Magazine

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, almost all of my work appears online first. I’m fine with that. Still,
| I got my start with now long gone print publications like Byte and
| PC/Computing. Seeing PC Magazine, the most popular of all the print PC
| publications leave is like seeing an old friend moving to another country. I
| know he’ll still be alive out there online, but it just isn’t going to be the
| same.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/business/good-bye-pc-magazine/

Related:

Ziff Davis files for bankruptcy protection

,----[ Quote ]
| Print and Web publisher Ziff Davis Media filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
| protection on Wednesday, citing declining advertising revenue and
| subscriptions as contributing factors, according an Associated Press report
| Wednesday.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9887337-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Breaking: Wikileaks Missing

,----[ Quote ]
| Breaking News has just learned that Wikileaks — the website utilized to post
| materials obtained from Republican Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin's
| personal Yahoo mail account — is, for undisclosed reasons, no longer
| available online. The extent of the outage is not currently known, thought it
| appears all mirrors of the site are offline, including domains for the United
| Kingdom, Belgium, and Christmas Island.
|
| We have been unable to identify the source of the outage, though the internet
| is alive with rumors. Paramount among them is the obvious and expected
| suggestion that U.S. law enforcement — who are known to be investigating the
| incident — has shut down the site. However, Wikileaks is hosted by Swedish
| provider PRQ — notorious for employing a "no questions asked" policy towards
| its customers — and U.S. authorities would lack the jurisdiction to take
| action against PRQ.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/breaking-wikilinks-missing

Wikileaks Shutdown: Censorship Is Censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| If Wikileaks were a print publication, the injunction that has shut down the
| site would be unthinkable. Back in 1931, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a
| Minnesota law that allowed the closing of any "malicious, scandalous and
| defamatory" periodical. This court, by contrast, has not only barred future
| publication of the documents at issue but elected to put Wikileaks out of
| business.

Free Speech Advocates Mount Legal Battle to Unchain Wikileaks

,----[ Quote ]
| In Bank Julius Baer & Co., Ltd v. Wikileaks, et al, the plaintiff claims that
| the posting of certain documents to the Wikileaks site violated Swiss and
| Cayman Island bank secrecy laws.
|
| Judge Jeffrey White ordered domain registrar Dynadot to disable Wikileaks.org
| to lift the injunction claim that it violates the First Amendment.

WikiLeaks Under Fire

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/18/043211&from=rss