[News] Nokia Bases Home Automation on GNU/Linux

Home Automation the Nokia Way

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia has opened a home automation project based around a Linux platform.
| They say you will be able to control your home from a browser or tablet or a
| cellphone. Direct to the project page.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/11/29/54957

"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it’s simply seeking to
compel Microsoft to obey the law. It’s quite revealing that Mr. Gates equates
the two."

                                --Government official

Recent:

Home automation in GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Home Automation is anything that your home does for you automatically to make
| living there more enjoyable or productive. It covers many areas, including
| remote and timed control of lights and electrical home appliances,
| distributed media services, and communication. Over the last 10 years, many
| hardware manufacturers have presented their own proprietary solutions to
| these problems. Unbeknownst to them, a groundswell of developers from around
| the world has been providing similar solutions to the free and open source
| community.
|
| In this introductory article, I will carry out a high-level review of a
| number of these projects to see what is already available.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/home_automation_in_linux

Related:

Automation device maker taps commercial embedded Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River has announced another design win for its Linux distribution
| targeting consumer electronics devices. AMX, which sells high-end industrial
| and home automation systems used in the White House's War Room and elsewhere,
| will switch its "Modero" touchpanels to Platform for Consumer Devices, Linux
| Edition (PCD-LE).

Glaucus Linux Powered Automation Appliance

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1539