Re: FBI sought approval to use spyware against terror suspects

____/ Robin T Cox on Sunday 10 February 2008 12:02 : \____

> FBI sought approval to use spyware against terror suspects
    ^ FBI?                                    ^^ That would be everone

It's all just an excuse for EOD (eavesdropping on demand), Just watch how an
anti-terrorist law turned into a weapon against people who care about puppies.
Just recently:

Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/11/animal_rights_a.html

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/08/fbi_spyware_ploy_app/
>
> The FBI has reportedly sought the go-ahead to use a custom spyware
> package to bug terrorists and other national security suspects. Indirect
> evidence suggests that the request was likely to have been approved.

But they are **already** doing it. Here is a report from several months back:

FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we
| reported earlier this week, can be delivered over the Internet and implanted
| in a suspect's computer remotely.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

In Austria and Germany, such Trojans are becoming standard.

> However, would-be terrorists need only use Ubuntu Linux to avoid the
> ploy. And even if they stuck with Windows their anti-virus software might
> detect the malware.

Some time ago (I could pull the article), it was said that AV software maker
faced a dilemma and they probably chose not to detect such 'benign'
and 'beneficial' infection.

Either way, just stay away from NSA. It's security to the nation (HS), not the
security of your privacy rights.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Open minds, open source
 12:20:02 up 16 days, 22:14,  3 users,  load average: 0.93, 1.35, 1.29