[News] New Free Software Listings, Including Games for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] New Free Software Listings, Including Games for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:55:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Top 50 Proprietary Programs that Drive You Crazy — and Their Open Source
Alternatives

,----[ Quote ]
| The following fifty proprietary programs are listed in no particular order
| within broad categories along with their open source alternatives. In some
| cases you could probably write your own book on frustrations with the
| proprietary programs shown here. In other cases, you’ll discover that the
| open source alternative isn’t quite up to snuff yet.
`----

http://whdb.com/2008/the-top-50-proprietary-programs-that-drive-you-crazy-and-their-open-source-alternatives/
http://tinyurl.com/2xju2m

Top 25 Linux Games for 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’re interested in games for a Linux platform, then you know that game
| probably is open source, free from cost in most cases, and free to modify.
| The latter attribute is why Linux games are so popular…a developer can take a
| great game and make it even better, share it with the world, and become a
| hero. So, why waste your time and money on proprietary games when so many
| great Linux games are available?
`----

http://whdb.com/2008/top-25-linux-games-for-2008/

Related:

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
|     * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
|     * Need for Speed Carbon
|
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/

Vista Offers Nothing to Gamers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is just a small sampling of games obviously, but for our
| intended experiment, I think they did the trick. We wanted to
| simulate what a normal gamer might go through in order to play
| games on Vista, and the end result was just slightly more hassle
| than you would with XP.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/01/vista_offers_nothing_to_gamers_uk/index.html

[Microsoft MVP:] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/archive/2007/07/14/foray-into-feisty-fawn-helped-me-take-back-my-mips.aspx