[News] The Daily Star on Joys of GNU/Linux for New user

  • Subject: [News] The Daily Star on Joys of GNU/Linux for New user
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:59:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Tech, G.P.: Linux experiment is going my way

,----[ Quote ]
| I set the computer up to use our network printers and fileserver, so she
| wouldn't lose access to them. I also copied her e-mail from the Windows
| computer to the Linux machine. Luckily, she uses Thunderbird for e-mail,
| which runs on both Windows and Linux, so that wasn't hard.
|
| Now it was ready. I sat her down and showed her how it worked, which took all
| of about 15 minutes.
|
| She tried it on her own, with a little coaching, and found it seemed she
| could do what she wanted to. She'd give it a try and see what happened.
|
| [..]
|
| ``How are you doing using the Linux computer?" I asked one evening. ``Have
| you been using it?''
|
| ``Yeah, every day," she answered. "I guess it's OK. If I have any questions,
| I'll just ask you."
|
| So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. She seems to have adjusted to it
| surprisingly well, and easily.
`----

http://www.thedailystar.com/lifestyles/local_story_040041538.html

Nice & simple. No muss, no fuss.

Related:

Linux Truths, Half-Truths, and Myths

,----[ Quote ]
| When people find out I run Linux on my computer instead of Windows
| or even Mac OS X they sometimes have funny ideas about what it must
| be like. Some of it is historical; Linux used to be quite difficult
| to administer in its younger days. Some of it is misinformation,
| or no information at all. I hope to dispell some of the
| misconceptions.
`----

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/03/05/161203.php

Linux Myth Busting